Job Opening ID: 226495
Job Network : Public Information and Conference Management
Job Family : Protocol
Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-5
Duty Station : BAMAKO
Department/Office : United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali
Date Posted : Jan 23, 2024
Deadline : Jan 30, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located within the Liquidation Entity of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), in Bamako. Under the direct supervision of the Protocol Officer, the incumbent will provide executive protocol assistance and she/he will be responsible for the completion of a variety of specialized activities ensuring the smooth functioning of the day-to-day protocol work, such as providing support in planning, and organizing meetings, conferences, events, and visits; arranging passes, assisting with accreditations procedures.
Within delegated authority, the Protocol Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides support to the Protocol Officer in planning, and organizing meetings, conferences and events at the entity.
• Schedules conference rooms; prepares invitations; prepares the list of participants; coordinates seating arrangements; arranges security/entry passes; handles other arrangements as required.
• Assembles, copies and distributes background papers and agenda.
• Inspects conference room to ensure preparation before the meeting and after and works with relevant sections/units to insure satisfactory preparation of facilities.
• Distributes reports or minutes of meetings.
• Provides support to the Protocol Officer in organizing visits for high-level delegations.
• Prepares invitations; coordinates with other offices; assists with organizing communication equipment to UN delegations visiting Mission area; assists with accreditations procedures including arranging the presentation of credentials.
• Updates the supervisor about the status of completion of required procedures.
• Informs the supervisor of any problem that may arise and assists with its resolution.
• Receives all incoming protocol correspondence, documents, condolences and invitations and other receptions.
• Dispatches them to the relevant parties and informs the supervisor.
• Carefully proofreads the letters and notes, which come from the other Sections and makes corrections, as appropriate, to the salutations of the notes, as well as the addresses of the letters.
• Performs other preliminary checks for accuracy and completeness.
• Drafts notes verbales, and routine correspondence (congratulations, condolences, apologies, invitations) for signature.
• Obtains important official documents such as speeches, decrees as required by the Protocol Officer.
• Organizes and maintains the Mission’s Protocol and VIP lists and the filing system.
• Provides explanation of protocol procedures and working methods to staff and relevant parties.
• Undertakes any additional assignments requested by the Protocol Officer.
Professionalism: Knowledge of protocol procedures as they apply to the processing of VIP travelers including services and support at the airport, managing hotel reservation and accommodation, and other applicable support. Ability to work late evening hours independently and without requiring additional supporting resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
At least five (05) years of relevant experience in protocol services in or in support of field operations of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization, National or International NGOs, or community-based organizations is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in French is required.