Job Opening ID: 226320
Job Network : Political, Peace and Humanitarian
Job Family : Electoral Affairs
Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
Duty Station : JUBA
Department/Office : United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan
Date Posted : Jan 22, 2024
Deadline : Feb 5, 2024
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
The position is based in Juba and is located in the Electoral Affairs Division (EAD). The Electoral Officer (Civic & Voter Education) will report to the Senior Electoral Officer.
The United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2567 (2021) deciding that UNMISS’s mandate is designed to advance a three-year strategic vision to prevent a return to civil war in South Sudan, to build durable peace at the local and national levels, and to support inclusive and accountable governance and free, fair, and peaceful elections in accordance with the Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R- ARCSS). Furthermore, Security Council Resolution 2677 (2023) called on the UNMISS to provide technical assistance, to include capacity-building, and logistical support for the electoral process, as appropriate, in coordination with the United Nations Country Team and regional and international partners as well as security support to facilitate the electoral cycle, consistent with the R-ARCSS.
Within delegated authority, the Electoral Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Implement, and often supervise the implementation of, electoral programs and processes in the following areas: public information, outreach and media relations, civic and voter education.
• Provide, and often supervise the provision of, support, technical assistance and advice in the areas of public information, outreach and media relations, civic and voter education as required.
• Provide support in the development of civic and voter education and public outreach plans, procedures and curriculums.
• Assist in the development of sustainable civic and voter education strategy.
• Advised and Support the development of civic and voter education and public outreach materials such as public service announcements, bulletins, billboards, posters, handbooks etc.
• Contribute, and often supervise the contribution to, capacity-building of national counterparts and strengthening of national institutions.
• Develop a Monitoring and Evaluation mechanism to monitor and report on the implementation of nation-wide civic/voter education, and public outreach activities.
• Coordinate, on training and capacity building issues, with the EAD Electoral Officers deployed in the field to:
o Closely monitor the engagement between the National Institutions and CSOs, Media and other electoral stakeholders;
o Closely monitor public outreach/civic voter education materials production, deployment and use of these materials and advise the National Institutions accordingly;
o Assist with the development of specific provisions for monitoring and evaluation of effectiveness of the materials/public service announcement throughout the country;
o Evaluate regularly the operational, logistic and security situation and advice on any identified risks that may affect the implementation of rollout of civic and voter education and public outreach activities;
o Monitor the impact of election staff recruitment and training on enhancing the participation of women and marginalized groups and provide advice to the national institutions on appropriate corrective measures.
• If required, supervise and manage the performance of national and international staff assigned to the area of responsibility.
• Establish and maintain professional and productive partnerships with national counterparts and other key stakeholders in the electoral process.
• Proactively keep all channels of communication and maintain close working relationships with, and advise, the South Sudanese electoral authorities throughout the planning and implementation of electoral activities in the areas of public information, outreach and media relations, civic and voter education as required.
• If required, compile and provide regular briefings and reports and concept papers/notes in the assigned area of responsibility in close collaboration with other relevant partners.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
Officers in UNMISS, and other UN agencies (e.g., UNDP), staff of specialized agencies, representatives of the Government, TNLA and other relevant national interlocutors, National Election Commission, Political Parties Council.
• The support of the United Nations in the area of responsibility contributes to credible and inclusive elections.
• The United Nations mandated support in the area of responsibility is implemented effectively, using resources efficiently and minimizing risks to the organization.
• The supervisor has access to accurate and timely information as well as advice on the electoral process and its implications.
• Professionalism: Demonstrates in-depth understanding of and ability to evaluate electoral processes; knowledge of all aspects of electoral processes and their technical and political implications. Strong analytical and evaluative skills. Understanding of electoral operations in a UN or similar multilateral environment. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of peace operations.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science international economics, international relations, law, public administration, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in elections and related areas in at least three (3) countries of which at least three (3) years of experience in supervising, implementing, supporting or advising on electoral processes is required.
United Nations electoral experience in a peacekeeping operation, political mission and/or a UN agency or other relevant international electoral experience is required.
Experience in developing countries is required.
Experience in post-conflict situations is desirable.
Experience in managing projects is desirable.
Previous experience of managing teams of different backgrounds is desirable.
Experience in bilateral or multilateral negotiations is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (spoken and written) is required