Result of Service
Establishment of agricultural data and knowledge resources system that supports development of agricultural statistical production capacity in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Agricultural statistical data is essential for understanding and addressing agricultural issues in Africa. It helps to inform decisions about strategies for food security, enhancing agricultural productivity, and improving livelihoods. Such data can be used to support policy development, access markets, identify trends and gaps in agricultural production, and inform investment decisions. Additionally, agricultural import and export statistics can support trade negotiations, providing information on crop prices, yields, quality and other relevant topics. In short, agricultural statistical data provides invaluable insights into Africa’s subsistence and commercial agriculture with far-reaching implications for the Africa’s economy and society.
Through the Global Strategy for Improving Agricultural and Rural Statistics (GSARS) in Africa (2021-2023) ACS is implementing a programme to build capacities in national agricultural statistical system for accountability reporting and policymaking. To enable ACS to see the impact of the support, it is evident to build an agricultural data management system that collects and disseminates data on African countries.
[Duties and responsibilities]
Under the direct technical supervision of the chief of the Statistical Development, Data Innovation and Outreach Section and the oversight and strategic and policy direction of the director of ACS, the consultant is expected to perform the following tasks:
• Develop and test online form based, automatic and API based data collection tools;
• Clean and prepare dataset from national sources;
• Analysis progress in data availability in countries;
• Develop agricultural data dashboards;
• Provide training of users in the use and maintenance of the data management tools;
• Prepare guidelines, training packages and technical documentations;
• Regularly report on the progress of activities;
• Update and put to production web scrapers of national CPI data;
• Develop a dashboard for ECA price data portal;
• Design and develop a data visualisation and publication interface for ECA’s energy statistics
• Any activities assigned by supervisor.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in data science, statistics or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in data analysis, processing, aggregation and
data products is required.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this consultancy, fluency in English or French is required. Knowledge of the other is an advantage. Knowledge of another UN Official language is an advantage.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.