UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The increased use of technology over the past decades has driven new means of transformation in many economic products and services to be influenced, partially or fully, by digital inputs and outputs. This has created a digital economy that is interconnected to many sectors and activities within the Saudi economy. To fully understand the extent of this economy and measure its contribution in the GDP of the Kingdom, GASTAT has established a digital economy department that is leading this measurement along with other surveys that focus on the access and usage of ICT. The main focus of this project is to provide GASTAT with the required expertise in ICT statistics, with a special focus on the measurement of the Kingdom’s digital economy. This project aims to build the whole statistical cycle of a digital economy survey and data pipeline, from the scope to the management of the statistical methodology, and cover all the technical aspects required to measure the digital economy contribution to the Saudi gross domestic product (GDP).
Duties and Responsibilities
The digital economy statistics expert will provide technical expertise and assistance in the fields of information and communication technology statistics and indicators that lies under the digital economy definition (currently based on the OECD definition of digital economy). He/She will work in the digital economy department, under the supervision of the department director, and will oversee 3 statistical survey; two of them are existing and one is new. The digital economy expert will also implement capacity strengthening activities, including training and mentoring, for the digital economy statistics team. The technical support and capacity strengthening expected from the expert under this assignment include the following:
- Review the status quo of ICT data in the Kingdom through the study of the available and required indicators to measure the digital economy, and the latest updates globally on the methodology for measuring this economy, and identify the ICT data owned by different entities in the Kingdom and could be of use to produce ICT indicators.
- Identify indicators related to the digital economy that cannot be provided through admin data, and to develop a methodology for producing such data either through existing surveys, such as structural business survey or ICT business survey, and/or through the independent digital economy survey.
- Design a digital economy survey questionnare to cover the narrow and broad levels.
- Develop a mechanism for integrating data related to the digital economy, which is likely to gathered through admin data and several surveys, a mechanism to calculate the contribution of the digital economy to the GDP, and develop the current access and usage ICT surveys (households and businesses) questionnaire and assist with their yearly statistical cycle.
- Identify the most important indicators related to the digital economy that need to be disseminated, prepare charts, graphs, and other outputs for reporting and presentation of various data, and respond to internal/external requests on questions related to digital economy statistics and the operations.
- Assist with the development of a digital economy framework, which is most likely would be based on e-commerce businesses.
- Provide expertise on principle and best practices methodologies (including households and businesses samples) and frameworks, provide statistical and ICT training to the digital economy statistics teams and provide coaching and on-the-job training for team as needed.
- The duty station for the Digital Economy Statistics Expert is Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He/She will be embedded within the Digital Economy Statistics Department within the Economic Statistics General Department at GASTAT
- Reporting and follow-up Mechanism: The Expert will report on a monthly basis to his/her supervisor and to the Chief Technial Advisor. The Specialist will submit monthly reports to his/her supervisor including activities, outputs, performance indicators, challenges, lessons learned, and recommendations.
||LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
||LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
||LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
|Adapt with Agility:
||LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
|Act with Determination:
||LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
|Engage and Partner:
||LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
||LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity=
|Business Direction and Stratetgy
||Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
|Business Direction and Stratetgy
||Ability to useobjective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
|Business Direction and Stratetgy
||Negotiation and Influence
||Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win to win’ situations
||Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
||Results Based Management
||Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
||Working with Evidence and Data
||Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
||Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Required Skills and Experience
|Min. Academic Education
- Master’s degree in statistics or economics with an emphasis on ICT sector.
|Min. years of relevant Work experience
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience, preferably with national statistics or economic offices, international organisation, or government in applying statistical and economic theories and techniques.
|Required skills and competencies
- Ability to provide statistical technical advice on different sectors/theme.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team and to work under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish strong cooperative relationships with senior government officials.
- Ability to work on any of the statistical packages to analyze data.
- Good understanding and practice of capacity development.
|Desired additional skills and competencies
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards.
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Display cultural, gender, religion and age sensitivity and adaptability.
|Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Excellent command of Arabic and English
- Master degree or PhD (preferred PhD)
- Certification of Training courses / workshops related to the field of ICT.
- Proof of experience
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.