IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
Description of Assignment: Under the supervision of AMC’s Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer, support all aspects of the AMC compliance program, policies and procedures framework, AMC operational risk monitoring and reporting, and supporting the legal team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
AMC Compliance Program
Work with the AMC Chief Compliance Officer (AMC CCO) and Deputy Compliance Officer (DCO) to ensure AMC’s compliance program is robust and effective:
• Facilitate the annual review and update of AMC’s compliance policies and procedures to ensure continued alignment with AMC’s compliance objectives and industry best practices governing fund management activities, and consistency with WBG staff rules.
• Organize annual compliance training, which includes coordination with AMC’s external compliance consultant.
• Monitor course evaluation reports to identify trends and opportunities for continuous improvement
• Work with AMC staff to ensure they complete periodic compliance activities in a timely manner.
• Support the on-going maintenance of AMC Staff Compliance System which includes handling bug fixes if they come up, mandatory software upgrades, and implementing enhancements as needed.
• Support the AMC CCO and DCO in the coordinate with IFC Business Risk and Compliance department with respect to their oversight of AMC’s compliance program.
AMC Policies and Procedures
• Draft new policies and procedures, and update existing policies and procedures, for the operations of AMC’s new platform of funds. Coordinate with IFC Polices & Procedures team, as needed, to update the IFC policies and procedures that refer to AMC.
Operational Risk Monitoring and Reporting
• Monitor business activities to ensure that operational risks arising from these activities are identified, assessed, mitigated, monitored and reported taking into consideration operational risk appetite, which is the type and level of operational risk that IFC is able and willing to assume given its mission and business objectives.
• Periodically assess operational risks in terms of likelihood and impact.
• Ensure that, when a risk materializes, the risk event is reported, and that the response is aligned with the magnitude of risk impact to the corporation.
• Identify and monitor suitable metrics/indicators for risks arising from their respective activities.
• Report, in standardized form, priority operational risks arising from their activities including emerging risks and risk events to the corporate operational risk management function.
• Undertake special initiatives/projects and other ad-hoc assignments as needed.
• Draft memos on legal issues that arise in the portfolio.
• Identify and assess legal risk in business documents for adherence to confidentiality requirements.
• Providing legal advice to ongoing projects and programs, including reviewing projects and program documents for adherence to policies, procedures, business objectives and summarizing as needed for the business teams.
• Perform ad hoc assignments as requested by the Head of Legal and Compliance.
• An LLM degree, J.D. with at least 6 years relevant experience and admission to the Bar (or equivalent) in at least one jurisdiction
• Excellent legal research, writing, drafting, analytical and communication skills
• Experience in international, commercial or contract law, in transactional legal work and the preparation or legal agreements
• Excellent legal drafting skills, including agreements and memos
• Understanding of regulatory frameworks and experience in compliance content creation
• Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure
• Excellent people skills and client service skills including the ability to effectively communicate in a team and/or collaborate across departments, capacity to give feedback and motivate action
• Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software, including advanced functions of WBG standard computer applications (Microsoft Word; Excel; Outlook; PowerPoint)
• Fluency in English with ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and confidently in writing and orally
• Demonstrated commitment to WBG core values, including excellence, mutual respect, collegiality, teamwork, diversity and inclusiveness, integrity, innovation, transparency, and accountability.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.