IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The position is located in the FAO office in Peshawar, KP. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
The position is envisioned under Livelihood and Food Security Improvement Fund project on SB 4 – SC 8 level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR in Pakistan, the guidance of the AFAOR Programme, direct supervision by Senior Project Officer and in close coordination with the Project Team, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks and duties:
Implementation of production improvement programme for field crops supported by the Project, identifying suitable crops, varieties and sources of supply of key inputs. Developing effective training methods and modules and delivering training for participating farmers in the field and capacity building with training for FAO and Government staff focusing on agriculture extension, technology transfer and climate change adaptation.
Tasks and responsibilities
• In close collaboration with the FAO Districts Team Leaders and Field Facilitators, design, support and supervise the implementation of a climate resilient and market-oriented production programme of field crops, identifying suitable crops, varieties and sources of supply of key inputs.
• Support the District teams with specific knowledge and advise on all aspects of the designed field crops development.
• Liaise with relevant departments of Provincial Governments, research institutions and other technical assistance projects to ensure co-ordination and the collaboration required for implementation of the Project’s crop production interventions.
• Guide and supervise the introduction, demonstration and extension of suitable species and varieties for improved crop production in the project communities to increase agricultural productivity from irrigated lands.
• Guide and supervise the Project’s farmer field school (FFS) programme for adaptive research and participatory learning of new and improved technologies and practices to increase the crop production of participating Community Organizations (Cos), including curriculum development, training of master trainers and FFS Facilitators, implementation and monitoring of FFSs.
• Ensure the inclusion of training/capacity building on the use of climate, water and agriculture information in FFS design implementation and monitoring;
• Develop recommendations on the design, site selection, installation and management of adaptive research plots for improved crop production as part of the Project’s FFS programme.
• Develop and supervise the implementation of a training programme on improved crop production strategies and practices suited to the Project’s target areas, including practical training of the Project’s Facilitators, and Government extension staff as trainers in the application of these improved technologies and techniques
• Develop modules for delivering training in the field and capacity building of FAO and Government staff Provide technical support to ensure adoption of internationally accepted innovations and technologies and best practice, such as the introduction of e-agriculture and digitization in agriculture development
• Assist in the Component 3 development of enabling environment including through review of policies, rules and regulations for CRA practices adoption and scaling up
• Contribute to the communication strategy, support awareness campaign and knowledge products
• Contribute to the development of the ACWA portal and a knowledge sharing platform for rural agriculture using ICT-based users’ friendly technology and innovative practices
• Support the awareness-raising, knowledge, technology and innovation transfer activities for agriculture, climate resilient agriculture and On Farm Water Management practices – including the development of gender-sensitive tools and capacity building of key stakeholders as identified in the Project three components.
• Develop, follow up and monitor the implementation of the Farmer Field School activities. Supervise the sound implementation of the FFS days and field demonstrations
• Participate in the evaluation of the technical offers submitted by the service providers.
• Participate to the development of Project Communication Strategy and provide input on agriculture and climate resilient practices.
• Identify lessons learned, good practices and innovative approaches that can be applied, scaled up, or replicated in the project area and outside
• Follow up on the agricultural and Climate Resilient -related objectively verifiable indicators at the outcome, result and output levels and report back to the M&E Officer.
• Work closely with the CTA, M&E unit and other project teams to draft the AWPB, progress reports, final reports and other deliverables identified in the Project Implementation Plan
• Contribute to the knowledge management and dissemination of the project outputs
• Any other related tasks assigned by Supervisor
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in plant/crop sciences, agriculture, agronomy, climate smart agriculture
• Proven experience (minimum 08 years) within the agricultural sector in Pakistan, preferably in crops, including marketing aspects and engagement with the private sector. At least 3 years of practical field experience in Climate Resilient Agriculture (CRA)
• Working knowledge of English, good knowledge of Urdu and local language of KP province
• National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Expertise in smallholder production systems in arid and semi-arid agro-ecological zones of Pakistan
• Track record experience in crop diversification, preferably in climate smart/resilient crops technologies and practices
• experience in developing manuals, curriculums and IEC materials for agriculture and climate smart enterprises
• Fluency in English and ability to write clear and concise technical documents.
• Good computer skills (word, excel, power point etc).
• Ability to deal with stakeholders from a broad range of backgrounds.
• Ability of working in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment and rural communities.
• Familiarity with UN systems and procedures regarding code of conduct and resource use.
• Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Women with agricultural background are highly encouraged to apply
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT