Organization: World Food Programme
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
All applications should be received no later than 30 March 2023
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement – SSA5
Duration: 11 months
Duty Station: Tartous
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
Take responsibility for completion of a range of finance/budget related processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
This post is based in Tartous Field Office and follow under the direct supervision of the Finance unit/ Tartous.To support effective delivery of finance, budget, and administration support services in
order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
Within the assigned unit and delegated authority, the SM will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules, and regulations.
2. Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision‐making.
3. Monitor the sub‐imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
4. Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
5. Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance, and statistics.
6. Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
7. Maintain the web‐based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
8. Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
Completion of secondary school education. A post‐secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Five or more years of experience in collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programs, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders.
• Demonstrates knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures, and accounting standards.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to WFP’s critical activities.
• Knowledge of standard office software packages, e.g., Microsoft Excel.
• Good attention to detail to identify data discrepancies.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.