UNDP Libya is working rapidly to respond to several crises in Libya by formulating and implementing projects that help stabilize the country and instill trust and confidence amongst communities, and between communities and the government. The UNDP Libya Country Office (CO) has made strong commitments to international donors, its Libyan counterparts and citizens to help restore and improve public services; enhance the effectiveness and reach of existing public institutions; expand civic engagement and participation in political and development processes; increase economic opportunities in a more diversified economy; strengthen social cohesion, support elections, reconciliation and politic dialogue initiatives; and contribute to stability throughout the country to ensure development gains.
In this context, the UNDP Libya is rapidly responding to the situation in Libya. To this end, the Country Office is strengthening its internal capacities through an enhanced recruitment approach and re alignment of its programmatic offer in a bid to respond to the needs and priorities of the country. It is envisaged that this support will provide timely, cost effective, integrated and dynamic solutions for the delivery of much needed services under a rapidly changing context in the country thus ensuring smooth business continuity and sustainable development.
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Finance Specialist, Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the UNCC Compound manager, Operations and Programme staff in the CO and UNDP HQ for resolving finance-related issues and exchange of information.
1. Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
Example of Duties:
• Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
• CO finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
• Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
• Regular follow up on contributions from participating agencies of UNCC as per the MOU signed among the UN agencies.
2. Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
Example of Duties:
• Preparation and modifications of budgets for common sharing project of UNCC and other local cost sharing project of UNDP, follow-up among all UN agencies participated in UNCC.
• Presentation of information for planning and status of financial resources of the UNCC project.
• Preparing the budget in ATLAS for KK as per the Annual budget of UNCC .
• Timely preparation of invoice to all UN agencies (UNCC) and follow up with all agencies.
• Preparing the quarterly/half yearly report and debit /credit required to all agencies.
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit and performs Global payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
Example of Duties:
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for all UN agencies . preparation of all types of case in GSSU portal and payments execution.
• Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
• Timely accounts closure
• Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
• Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
4. Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
Example of Duties:
• Alternate to Finance Associate (ICS-7) for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
• Alternate to Finance Associate (ICS-7) for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
• Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
• Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas as required for local banks.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Thematic Area Name Definition
Finance Accounting (General) Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
Finance Audit risk management Ability to address audit issues raised in the course of an audit and propose solutions in order to ensure a true and fair audit opinion is achieved
Finance Financial planning and budgeting Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysing and reporting
Finance Financial reporting and analysis Understands changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance
Finance Management and cost accounting Ability to produce periodic qualitative and quantitative performance reports to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Ability to use a range of costing techniques and analyse cost related data to provide quantitative information to the users of reports.