Job Overview: The Healthcare Assistant works in close coordination with the Health and Wellness Coordinator, refugee clients, and local healthcare providers to coordinate and advocate for the healthcare and preventative health needs of refugee clients of the International Rescue Committee.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure any urgent medication needs are resolved and that clients know how to fill and refill prescriptions at an accessible pharmacy.
- Assist clients to become self-sufficient in navigating and utilizing transportation resources such as Medicaid taxi and Marta bus system.
- Assistance with data entry, analysis, and administrative tasks relevant to health services provided.
- Assist the Health Program Coordinator in scheduling and coordinating medical and health appointments for clients.
- Assist clients to resolve any issues that arise concerning billing for medical services and coordination between Medicaid or other insurance plan and health providers.
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency, placing importance on client confidentiality.
- Refer clients to any other services that may be eligible for or interested in receiving internally at IRC and externally with partnering organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Current undergrad, graduate student, or recently graduated student with a focus in Public Health or a related field preferred.
- Relevant professional experience in human services field required; minimum of 2 years’ experience strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Understanding and ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding client information.
- Flexible, resourceful, and collaborative when working independently and in a team setting.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; proficiency in language(s) spoken by client group is desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research, and problem-solving purposes.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- Occasional domestic (non-local) travel required; up to 10%.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.