Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
The position holder is responsible to handle different activities of FSL, WASH, health and Nutrition at grass root level at SNNP Program Area.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Plan has a performance management and accountability matrix SOP. Every position holder is expected to adhere to the SOP and review and review her/his responsibility against the accountability matrix.
Project design, implementation and reporting(35%)
- Ensure that the WASH promotion activities are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
- Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donor and partners.
- Carrying out needs assessments and identify activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
- Report request of material needed for WASH promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adult, children, and persons living with disabilities).
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. Those may include but are not limited to: conduct sex and age segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment and water quality monitoring, training and follow up of community health workers, cleaning campaign.
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
- Provide daily/weekly report to immediate supervisor.
- Provide WASH promotion related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH related disease and about the importance of properly use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
- Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including overnight stay in rural areas.
- Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, elderly and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH officers and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
- Contribute to regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring, baseline and end-line surveys.
- Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;(35%)
- Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from community submit to PA for further analysis.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
- In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support (30%)
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Leadership and BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
- Courageous in taking a lead, focused on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work context.
- Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
- Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behavior and speaks up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyze issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
- Understand relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan’s purpose, values, and global strategy
- Manage legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
- Manage activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
- Manage people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- University degree in Environmental Health, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
- Minimum 4 years of total experience of which experience in WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
- Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
- Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervise and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centres.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
- Desired spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
- Fluency in English language is essential
- Knowledge of local languages is a desirable
Location: South Omo Woredas
Type of Role:
Reports to: Wash Project Manager
Closing Date:29, May 2023
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.