UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Heavy rains and a combination of riverine, urban, and flash flooding led to an unprecedented climate-induced disaster in Pakistan since June 2022, causing widespread fatalities and damaging and destroying public and private infrastructure across the country. Rain-induced landslides and floods also damaged agricultural land and forests, impacting local ecosystems. Around 33 million people were affected by the heavy rains and floods according to Government estimates, including nearly 8 million people who were displaced.
OCHA has been scaling up its operations and produces several information products and services including data collection and coordination, infographics, dashboard and other products which inform the humanitarian community in their response to the humanitarian situation in the country. To respond to the organization, need, OCHA is seeking an Information Management Officer to assist in the production and delivery of Information Management products and services. She/He will be part of the Information Management Unit and reporting to the Head of the Information Management Unit. The National Information Management Officer works in close collaboration with the Operations, Program and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to ensure consistent service delivery.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Information Management Unit, the National Information Management Officer will be expected to support the implementation and maintenance of OCHA’s global Information Management Strategy and the following functions:
Summary of Key Functions
- General IM and IM coordination and communication activities
- Data analysis & data management functions
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and mapping skills
- Graphic design and visualization skills
- Content and web management skills
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the Head of the Information Management Information unit, the incumbent is expected to play a critical role in ensuring the primary objectives of OCHA Pakistan are met. This can be done by contributing to the following functions:
Directly involving Information Management (IM) and IM coordination activities of OCHA Pakistan by using various and effective communication channels. Main responsibilities under this function are:
- Support with data coordination, especially as it relates to sectoral data (e.g. Who does What Where and When (5W) data, and assessment data);
- Develop strong links with other IM staff in the humanitarian community to promote coordination and information-sharing between organizations.
- Participate in coordination meetings to identify information needs and provide technical support.
- Maintain contact and distribution lists.
- Work with partners, and OCHA staff on communication initiatives to ensure coherence of messaging around the flood emergency and response.
- Liaison with counterparts in standardizing, updating and developing robust information management systems through analyzing most appropriate common operational datasets and fundamental operational data sets required for various themes.
- Monitor, research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources on humanitarian issues in Pakistan to build a clear situation awareness.
- Establish and maintain an extensive communications network to collect information that builds good humanitarian situation awareness in Pakistan.
- Support the collection of field information to monitor and improve ongoing response, coordination activities, and information products.
- Consolidate inputs to the regular flood situation report in coordination with OCHA field offices, sector coordinators, and other stakeholders.
- Conduct Information Management and Mapping related trainings for humanitarian community and OCHA staff based on needs and requirements.
- Incorporate common standards such as P-codes and other standards into datasets and products and insure that common operational coding standards are disseminated and used across cluster/sectors/taskforces for data collection and reporting.
Implementation of data management and data analysis activities to improve situational awareness and support evidence-based planning and operations for OCHA Pakistan. Main responsibilities under this function are:
- Design, develop and manage databases, spreadsheets, and other data sources.
- Process and analyze data to support operational analysis and decision-making.
- Play a lead role in the design, development, management, and improvement of data management systems including database and spreadsheets, along with a related process for data collection, cleaning, and verification.
- Collects, compiles, analyses, and reports various primary and secondary data from multiple sources and organizes the essential record keeping and archival.
Developing maps and other spatial products for OCHA Pakistan (including online maps) by using geographical information systems (GIS) and other tools to analyze and present spatial data. Main responsibilities under this function are:
- Assist with the maintenance of spatial baseline and operational datasets in accordance with relevant standards and guidance.
- Provide GIS support to the office in general and assist in the development of appropriate maps and infographic products to support humanitarian decision-making and reflect humanitarian response.
Develop advanced products and documents for OCHA Pakistan that take complex data presenting in a format that’s easy to understand and tailored for a specific audience. Main responsibilities under this function are:
- Responsible for designing and producing agency standard information products through systematic collection and analysis of humanitarian information related to the country and region
- Supports the advocacy, communication and reporting functions of OCHA Pakistan through the collection, processing, storage and retrieval of documents, including images, of emergencies and vulnerability, as well as relief operations; developing high quality and advanced IM products.
Organizing the corporate web tools (including ReliefWeb Response, Humanitarian Data Exchange) response to make the information, data and products of OCHA Pakistan easy to find and use. When needed, create dashboards and other Business Intelligence (BI) tools to present data in ready-to-use forms. The main responsibilities under this function are:
- Initiating innovative activities like online GIS, web based database systems for supporting Humanitarian actors on various information management themes.
- Developing thematic dashboards according to needs of the response and other units/field offices
- Maintaining the content at ReliefWeb Response – Pakistan page and ensure all the materials are up-to-date and relevant to the flood response.
The key results have an impact on the overall coordination of humanitarian and emergency assistance. The root causes of the humanitarian/emergencies are appreciated, ensuring that strong and effective responses are mounted. This facilitates operational agencies in succeeding in their core objectives, building strong partnerships with relevant parties, and the achievement of OCHA’s objectives.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others, and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
Results-Based Programme Development and Management – Contributes into results through primary research and analysis:
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships – Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches – Enhancing processes or products:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization – Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategy:
- Collects, researches and analyzes information on resource mobilization and utilization, drafts reports and documents and maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors and donor-funded projects
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing – Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Global Leadership and Advocacy for OCHA’s Goals – Preparing information for global advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for OCHA’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of OCHA’s priorities and to support advocacy efforts
- Master’s degree or equivalent in information management, information systems, data science, statistics, GIS, or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2 additional years may be considered in lieu of the Masters Degree
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum 2 years (Masters degree) or 4 years (Bachelors degree) of progressively responsible experience in information management, information systems, web management, data management, geographic information systems, mapping, and data visualization,
- Experience managing information in disaster response or complex emergencies is desirable
- Relevant experience within the UN system is desirable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Microsoft Excel is desirable
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and current GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS) is desirable
- Knowledge of database development is desirable
- Knowledge of Power BI is desirable
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in oral and written English and the local language of the duty station.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.