||Policy and Partnerships
|Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Intern supports the activities of the Bank in the area of circular economy, EV battery supply chains and agribusiness and related investments and programmes, in activities related to the identification and the development of dedicated projects and project components, policy dialogue activities and new partnerships and initiatives in order to align investments with the Green Economy Transition (GET) Approach, the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Reporting to the EBRD’s EV Batttery Recycling Platform Lead, the Intern contributes to the implementation of the Battery Recycling Platform. The Intern will take responsibility for the tasks assigned to him/her by the EBRD’s EV Batttery Recycling Platform Lead, which includes undertaking research, supporting the implementation of activities, engagement with internal and external stakeholders, reporting to donors, as well as other relevant tasks in support of successful Programme implementation.
The intern will also support the activities of the Bank in the area of sustainable food systems and more specifically in the areas of:
- Identification and assessment of standards and certification for sustainable procurment of food commodities by commodity tarders, food processors, food retailers and sustainable agriculture with a focus on regenerative practices, sustainable irrigation and biodiversity conservation.
- Review external initiatives such as science based targets on nature (SBTN), Taskforce on Nature related Financial Disclosures (TNFD) and their applicability in the context of EBRD.
- Undertake research on digital technologies for remote/salellite based land use monitoring emerging trends in bio-control, sustainable food packaging etc.
The role may also require supporting other areas of CSD work, such as providing research for and supporting the development of sustainable finance transactions.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Work as an Battery Recycling Platform team member, contributing to all aspects of activities under the Platform, including comprehensive research and analysis of background materials, data mining and market research/information.
- Prepare draft correspondence, presentations, and following up on the Platform communication.
- Support the knowledge management (internal) and knowledge sharing (external) activities of the Platform.
- Undertake research and support EBRD activities on the topics of sustainable and climate change resilient food supply chain and natural capital conservation and restoration.
- Undertake background research and support assessment of specific sustainable investment opportunities and climate change risks as part of transaction due diligence.
- Ensure that all tasks assigned to the Intern are completed within the specified periods to a high quality and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
- The role may also require supporting other areas of CSD work as required, such as providing research for and supporting the development of sustainable finance transactions
The responsibilities of the Intern are designed to allow to progressively undertake more complex tasks and build the scope of responsibilities based on acquired experience and expertise and gain a deeper understanding of EBRD processes. In order to perform the tasks outlined above, a high degree of numeracy and accuracy and monitoring and managing of various parallel processes are indispensable
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Essential skills and experience:
- Relevant degree (Masters level) in an environmental and/or engineering or finance subject and relevant experience. Quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret technical/financial information.
- Ability to write comprehensive text with clear messaging relating to the Green Economy Transition, in operation documents and knowledge management products/
- Good understanding of circular economy, EV battery supply chains and environmental themes.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office with in-depth experience in Excel and PowerPoint packages including financial analysis, modelling, and presentation modules.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
Desirable characteristics and skills:
- Exposure to or good understanding of environmental aspects of industry and knowledge of the local industry in the Programme countries is desirable.
- Degree in agronomy/agricultural sciences and food engineering
- Good understanding of food supply chains and agricultural production systems.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles (previous experience in financial industry)
- Experience in circular economy, EV supply chains, agribusiness and sustainable finance will be advantageous.
- Experience or interest in developing knowledge management products, website and social media management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Paris Agreement, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and emerging frameworks such as the post-2020 Biodiversity Framework.
- Knowledge of Polish and other Central and Eastern European languages are of significant advantage
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.