WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In line with the country office objectives, WFP Burkina Faso requires an IT Operation Officer to coordinate and support the implementation of complex technology solutions and processes to deliver programmes activities.
Under the overall responsibility and with a direct reporting line to the Head of TEC, the IT Operations Officer will be responsible for the delivery of efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, providing sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
1. Contribute to the development of plans and budgets and manage the deployment of IT/TC systems aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
2. Monitor and maintain IT/TC systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
3. Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; contribute to technology upgrades as required.
4. Contribute to technical specifications and tender documents that support the procurement of IT/TC equipment and services at minimum cost, in line with WFP rules and regulations.
5. Collate and analyze data to contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC activities, investments, and costs, identifying ideas to increase cost efficiencies where possible.
6. Maintain and develop technical expertise and understanding of industry developments.
7. Provide advice to managers and users, understanding and resolving issues, and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems, and tools are correctly applied to support them.
8. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
9. Contribute to the capacity building of staff through the review and/or design of appropriate training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and Telecommunications.
10. Perform any other duties as required.
1. Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to align activities and maximize possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and TC.
2. Interact effectively with internal and external colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
3. Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP is able to maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
4. Contribute to the preparation of operational plans and deliver resource requirements at the onset of an emergency.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.|
|Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization||Demonstrates the ability to collate time, resource, and budgetary estimates from multiple stakeholders to design plans for complex projects, implementation activities and manages the change control procedure, while ensuring that project deliverables are completed.|
|Technical Expertise||Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.|
|Service Management||Consistently monitors performance and delivers high quality technology and services to meet the needs of customers, taking responsibility for the design, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance and effective use of IT infrastructure components.|
|Client Management||Applies thorough understanding of the business, customers, new IT technologies and techniques to implement improved solutions and define service levels, standards and the monitoring process for client service staff.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.|
• Has coordinated and managed small or medium projects at HQ and field Office.
• Has assisted in change management procedures, activities and processes at HQ and field.
• Has assisted in establishing standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain or at a HQ and field Office.
• Has successfully performed installation or testing of new hardware for improving or upgrading systems performance.
• Has proven experience analyzing service management results and developing service enhancement recommendations.
• Has keen ground-level experience implementing IT and telecoms systems in emergencies.
Education: Advanced university degree in Computer Science or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional 10 years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
Experience: At least seven(7) years of progressive experience in an ICT-related field such as hardware and software support, WAN/WLAN/LAN, and IT service delivery. Has experience implementing IT and telecom systems in emergencies (VHF, HF, Satellites phones, and VSAT). Knowledge of Microsoft Windows server, O365, SharePoint, and Windows 10 and 11, AWS cloud technology. Knowledge of Network protocols, devices (Cisco, Cambium, Ubiquity, VOIP telephony system [MITEL], VSAT), and IT/cyber security, (Cisco Switching and Routing). ITIL V3 and CCNA certification is desired.
Language: Proficiency (read/ write/ speak) in English and in French
Contrat type : « Fixed Term »
Duty station : Ouagadougou
Duration of assignment : 12 months
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 30/03/2023