The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is an intergovernmental organization with more than 194 member nations. Since its inception, FAO has worked to alleviate poverty and hunger by promoting agricultural development, improved nutrition, and the pursuit of food security – defined as the access of all people at all times to the food they need for an active and healthy life. To achieve its goals, FAO cooperates with thousands of partners worldwide, from farmers’ groups to traders, from non-governmental organizations to other UN agencies, from development banks to agribusiness firms (further and more detailed information on FAO can be found on the internet site: http://www.fao.org). The main aim of FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve security and reduce hunger and malnutrition to help develop the agricultural, fisheries, and forest sectors, and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
FAO Representation in Rwanda is a fully-fledged office since 11 July 1985. It works directly with the Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI) and indirectly with other ministries and government institutions to advance all spheres of agriculture transformation for Better production, Better Nutrition, a Better environment, and a Better life for all leaving no One Behind.
The Multimedia Specialist will capture in photos and videos all of FAO Rwanda’s activities on the field and in meetings with partners in Rwanda and other places assignments may have to be carried out and work under the direct supervision of the FAO Rwanda’s Communications Specialist, have direct engagement with the Assistant FAOR/Programme, project managers and maintain functional collaboration with the Sub-Regional Office for East Africa (SFE), Regional and HQ communication teams to take quality content that is in line with FAO’s branding guidelines.
The Multimedia Specialist will be required to generate visually attractive photos, videos and other relevant multimedia content to be used in technical works, reports, social platforms and projects to enhance the visibility of FAO’s work to the Rwanda public and beyond. The incumbent will need to ensure coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs. Furthermore, the incumbent will be required to provide technical advice in the design and implementation of communication and outreach products and ensure that the FAO brand is well represented.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Ensure the safety and setting up of multimedia equipment
• Prepare consent forms and get people’s signatures before taking capturing photos and videos
• Cover FAO Rwanda’s events and workshops and take high-quality photos and videos
• Participate in field missions and gathering creative multimedia content to be used in communications activities
• Edit and retouching multimedia content
• Choose and setting up locations
• Reproduce and frame photographs and videos
• Feed FAO’s global Trello Board with multimedia content from FAO Rwanda
• Ensure the right usage of FAO Photos and videos and following up on opportunities that make them reach a wider audience
• Upon clearance, sharing multimedia content with partners as per the approved request
• Feed FAO media database with high-quality photos, videos and captions
• The officer in charge of the photo and video production should liaise with OCC at the appropriate stages to ensure workflow, quality and files delivered correspond to FAO Photo Library production standards.
Photos should follow the FAO Photo Library Production Guidelines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu6vckocxhlc7fc/FAO_Guidelines_for_Photo_Production_202206.pdf?dl=0
Videos should follow the FAO Video production guideline: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xi8lff8oayz77e/FAO Video Guidelines ( March 2022).pdf?dl=0
Further guidance regarding FAO communications, policies and procedures can be found through the FAO intranet, OCC section.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• A certificate of photography and videography, University Degree in communication, journalism, media, communication, social science, public relations, policy advocacy, international relations or other related fields.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience in journalism, communications, video-photography and outreach activities at the country and/or international level.
• Good working knowledge of English
• Nationality of Rwanda.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
• Experience in working with the local media
• Good communication and writing skills
• Good interpersonal skill
• Graphic design and documentary production skills would be an asset
• Prior experience in working with UN agencies and/or international agencies on policy advocacy, strategic communication, partnership building and social mobilization is highly desirable
• Analytical skills and ability to write stories and reports in English
• Excellent communications, writing and editorial skills with good attention to detail.
• Ability to use own initiative, work in a team, multi-task and excellent organizational skills.
• Good knowledge of UN system, procedures and operational activities is an advantage.
• Having worked in media industry is an asset
• Significant experience in multimedia production
• Track record of experience in a production team of the national, regional, or international media house
• Sound knowledge and hands-on experience with editing software (Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier, and Final Cut)
• Being able to write and speak in both English and Kinyarwanda
• Proven experience in working with FAO or any other UN Agency is an asset