Job no: 557441
Contract type: Consultant, Individual Contractor Full-Time
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Location: Bosnia & Herzegovina
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, health
The UNICEF Health programme component focuses on support to health system strengthening, including building capacity of health providers to provide equity based and quality health services. The overall objective of this activity is to engage staff that will provide support to the Ministry of Civil Affairs B&H in the activities related to the implementation of projects related to COVID-19 donations of medical and non-medical devices and equipment.
The programme provides technical and human resource assistance to strengthen capacities and capabilities of Ministry of Civil Affairs. UNICEF B&H is seeking for a qualified consultant to facilitate implementation of the program and to Provide technical support to Ministry of Civil Affairs.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF is implementing with USAID funding a two-year programme on ‘COVID-19 Vaccine Readiness and Deployment in Bosnia and Herzegovina’ (September 2021 – June 2023). Recognizing this, UNICEF Bosnia and Herzegovina will ensure that the Programme activities comply with USAID’s most up-to-date guidance on programming considerations for technical assistance related to COVID-19 vaccines, including the technical recommendations on vaccine-related SBC/demand generation/RCCE efforts aimed at promoting vaccine up-take, with particular attention to their implications for countries where both approved and non-approved vaccines are available; and other related requirements as applicable.
Staff is required to facilitate implementation of the Program in the part of procurement of medicinal/nonmedicinal devices and equipment through donations.
Under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Civil Affairs, Acting Assistant Minister for health and Health Specialist at UNICEF, the staff will work closely with the relevant international and domestic health institutions to conduct the following tasks:
• Preparation of documentation for the implementation of procedures for accepting donations from international agencies and other donors, and their distribution.
• Coordination of data collection and preparation of reports on COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
• Translation of professional documentation related to COVID-19 and other health topics.
• Performing administrative and technical tasks in the Ministry of Civil Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and in connection with holding web conferences with domestic and international institutions and regulating and monitoring mutual relations regarding the infectious disease COVID-19.
• Daily processing of cases that needed to be studied and forwarded to the Ministry of Health of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Republic of Srpska, the Department of Health and Other Services of the Brčko District Government, and the Ministries of Health at the cantonal/county levels.
• Daily and continuous coordination and monitoring of incoming donations of medical and non-medical devices and equipment.
• Regular communication and support to the Ministry of Health of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Republika Srpska, the ministries of health at the cantonal/county levels, the Department of Health and other services of the Brčko District, the Medicines Agency, clinical centers, hospitals, health centers in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the process of suppressing the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Correspondence with the Ministry of Health of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Republic of Srpska, the Department of Health and other services of the Brčko Government on a daily basis. Depending on the topic, correspondence is maintained with the Agency for Medicines and Medical Devices of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Institutes for Public Health at entity levels.
• Improving and maintaining communication with the UN and all international agencies that are currently providing support in overcoming the consequences caused by the COVID-19 pandemic so that all donations reach the recipients as soon as possible.
• Providing answers to all inquiries from the Ministries of Health at all levels, UNICEF and the media, i.e. press inquiries received by the Ministry of Civil Affairs and seeking relevant information at the state and entity level regarding COVID-19.
• Preparation and participation in Zoom meetings and conferences for which the Health Sector is responsible. Meetings and conferences are of a local and international character, and engaged persons participate in 10 meetings and conferences on average per month.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: Central European Standard Time
Deadline: Central European Standard Time