TERMS OF REFERENCE
Title: Physical Rehabilitation Coordinator
Department: Technical department
Location: Gaziantep with frequent travels to program locations
Reporting to: Technical and MEAL Director.
Direct reports: Physical Rehabilitation Officer
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Türkiye, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
About our Country Program/ Regional Programs:
Middle East Region
RI in the Middle East has programs in six countries – Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Türkiye and Yemen, with a focus on the 4 main RI sectors: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity.
Relief International currently employs 3900 staff (direct and indirect) in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 70 million USD on an annual basis
The physical rehabilitation coordinator will provide technical leadership and support to the RI Health Team and partners for in Türkiye based programs.
The coordinator will ensure that programs adhere to international guidelines and standards. He/she will promote strong beneficiary and donor accountability and meet the reporting needs of internal and external stakeholders. The coordinator will provide technical support and coordination to partners in Türkiye. A capacity building plan including trainings, regular mentoring and supervision will be developed and implemented in all relevant RI Türkiye programs. He/she will contribute to developing RI Türkiye’s Physical Rehabilitation strategic framework. He/she will support and integrate Physical Rehabilitation into RI Türkiye’s physical rehabilitation programs and will contribute to proposal development and needs assessments, as required. The coordinator will supervise the RI Physical Rehabilitation officer and oversee relevant partner staff.
Key Responsibilities and Duties.
RI Physical rehabilitation strategy and scope of work:
· Under supervision of health coordinator develop RI physical rehabilitation strategy and position paper in consultation with physical rehabilitation specialists, and ensure that the strategy is in line with RI strategy and core values.
· Develop physical rehabilitation policies and standard operating procedures for RI and help RI partners to develop their policies and SOPs in terms of physical rehabilitation.
· Ensure the tools and guidelines that used by RI physical rehabilitation team and RI partners are consistent with international standards and RI physical rehabilitation strategy.
· Define specific activities for physical rehabilitation and identify key personnel implementing the activities in consultation with the health coordinator.
· Work with RI health coordinator and other members to integrate physical rehabilitation activities into wider systems.
· Develop/identify minimum standards (quality benchmarks) on physical rehabilitation within the integrated programs and develop tools to measure progress.
· Synthesize new research and provide feedback to all stakeholders on the emerging trends;
· Participate actively in any comprehensive needs assessment and stakeholder mapping across all relevant areas in Türkiye.
· Write a comprehensive report on the needs-assessment exercise which will then be used to develop tools and physical rehabilitation programming.
· Conduct an in-depth assessment of the existing physical rehabilitation project activities and practices at RI supported physical rehabilitation centre to identify strengths, gaps and provide recommendations for improvements.
· Review communication materials (press releases, blogs, human interest stories) related to physical rehabilitation.
· Other related tasks that may from time to time
· Develop tools to conduct capacity need assessment for RI partners in physical rehabilitation programming and skills and measure progress/impact throughout the implementation period.
· Develop a detailed work plan and capacity building plan to ensure successful implementation of the program from the technical perspective, in line with program strategy and international guidelines.
· Review the plan for organizational capacity building on MPHSS with induction, on-going training and day to day mentoring. This will include developing the methodology, training materials and training plan (in person, online, appropriate training venues etc.);
· Identify training needs and gaps for current and future staff.
· Review the report on the capacity assessment for each partner, with a detailed plan for further improvement.
· Coordinate with academic institutions to access latest research and materials to tap into the latest research to identify how to implement the mental health assessment and support component of the program.
· Represent RI in routine donor monitoring meetings and other technical forum.
· Present physical rehabilitation component to stakeholders, donors, and others, as requested.
· Strengthened coordination mechanisms for the delivery of physical rehabilitation services with relevant stakeholders.
· Participate in coordination meetings (particularly mental health SWG) when needed, to introduce and update RI’s physical rehabilitation programs among partners.
· Ensure internal coordination and collaboration of interventions through review meetings and provision of regular updates.
· Identify physical rehabilitation global workshops/meetings to present program results;
· Written monthly updates on physical rehabilitation services, shared with relevant sectors and management.
Experience and skills required for the role.
· Formal education or professional training in prosthetics and physiotherapy and/or experience in a related medical discipline.
· 5-10 years’ experience in mental health and psycho-social programming to refugees and IDPs.
· Experience working in the Humanitarian context and emergencies.
· Experience in capacity building and in strengthening various duty bearers’ understanding of and response to Psychosocial Support.
· Experience working on the inclusion of hard-to-reach groups.
· Good knowledge of and experience in using established inter-agency and Donor standards and guidelines in physical rehabilitation.
· Good understanding of the Türkiye context.
· Good understanding with donors’ requirements.
· Cultural awareness and sensitivity, prior experience in the Middle East is a plus.
· Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively in written and spoken English.
· Strong skills in using Microsoft office programs such as world, excel, and PowerPoint.
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website .
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.