Portfolio Analyst – Data Scientist
Job #: req17687
Sector: Information Technology
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 6/10/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Within IFC, the Corporate Portfolio Management (CPM) Department, under the IFC Senior Vice President of Operations, is responsible for the oversight and monitoring of the debt and equity portfolio at a corporate level and works to provide an efficient operating model and tools for portfolio management.
CPM is seeking a self-starter, entrepreneurial data scientist to work in its Systems and Data team. The team provides business sponsorship for key IFC portfolio systems, as well as designs and develops solutions for self-service access to information and data. The team is responsible for providing impartial analytics and tools to support management decisions as well as reporting for the Board, IFC Senior Management and investment staff. The position requires close communication and interaction with staff and management at all levels with a concentration in the Regional and Global Industry teams as well as in the Corporate IT Department.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The data scientist role will play a critical entrepreneurial role and will be responsible for developing advanced analytics and deep insights from IFC operations. You will work closely with the network of data scientists in the World Bank group, IT department, process owners and business stakeholders to deliver impactful data science solutions. You will have the opportunity to do your best work every day and deliver disruptive innovation by tapping into new datasets, leveraging the latest cloud technologies, and being supported by a robust analytics and IT team. Specifically, the position will:
• Partner with business and technical stakeholders across the organization to translate challenging business problems into impactful data science solutions
• Recommend and pursue data science solutions to discover business insights and enable business functions to be data driven.
• Collaborate with data engineers, data stewards, product owners and business users to support projects through the end-to-end data science lifecycle exploratory analysis, hypothesis testing, modeling, rapid prototyping, business validation/testing, and operational deployment
• Leverage a diverse set of structured and unstructured data to derive meaningful insights and information sets for modeling
• Communicate complex analytical work to a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Maintain expertise and awareness of emerging data science techniques, technologies and potential business applications for ML/AI
• Provide internal knowledge-sharing and learning to members of the larger team to broaden the general data science capacity and bring about an innovative research & development culture.
• Assist with production of visualizations and data to support and strengthen the Portfolio Review process.
• Handle ad hoc queries for information, perform various user testing activities, and provide ongoing application maintenance and end-user production support.
Candidates should be professionals with experience in data science skills and technical knowledge of portfolio and asset management related topics, ideally in the private sector. The candidate should meet the following criteria:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering or related field. Master’s degree would be preferred, as well as equivalent combination of education (e.g., bachelor’s in computer science disciplines and a Master’s in business (e.g., Business Administration, Finance, Economics).
• Minimum of 1-3 years prior experience working in teams of data & analytics professionals to deliver on business-driven analytics projects.
• Demonstrated understanding of financial concepts, and application of data science in financial domain.
• Strong analytical skills to critically evaluate gathered data and ability to link or associate with other datasets and data needs.
• Some knowledge and experience in scripting and programming with Python, R and SQL
• Some knowledge and experience with relevant technologies, preferably in cloud environment and tools provided within Azure and AWS.
• Aptitude for learning and applying new technologies related to Data Science and Data Management
• Demonstrated self-starter with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity.
• Strong written and spoken communications skills in English; ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.