|Term Duration:||2 years 0 months|
|Recruitment Type:||Local Recruitment|
|Location:||Washington, DC,United States|
|Required Language(s):||English and Spanish (Essential)|
|Closing Date:||12/16/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC|
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The 25 Executive Directors of the WBG Board, assisted by their Alternates, Senior Advisors, Advisors and Administrative staff represent the interests of the 189-member countries who nominated or elected them. They also ensure the oversight of the general operations of the Bank Group and the group’s results on the ground. The institutions under their purview are: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. The Board, working closely with Management, approves several policies, financial commitments and knowledge products that ensure the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge results for its clients in developing countries.
The Office of the Executive Director for Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay (EDS08) is looking for a motivated and proactive Program Assistant with excellent administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills to join the team.
The Executive Director’s Office deals with all aspects of the Bank’s work, interacts with Senior Bank Management, staff in other departments in the Bank, IFC, MIGA, as well as ministries, governments, embassies and high-level officials, representatives from the private sector, non-governmental organizations, academia, and others from the countries represented.
The main responsibility of the successful candidate will be to provide effective and high-quality administrative support to the Executive Director’s office, working closely with other team members to ensure a smooth operation of the office. S/he will be expected to interact with other departments in the Bank, relevant ministries and agencies, embassies, and World Bank Group management and staff. S/he must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with great attention to details.
In addition to the Executive Director, the office consists of an Alternate Executive Director, Senior Advisors, Advisors, and a Sr. Program Assistant.
The successful candidate will report to the Alternate Executive Director.
Administrative support staff hired into the Executive Directors’ offices will be offered an initial 2-year Term appointment. Staff on open-ended appointments who are selected into the EDs’ offices are strongly advised to obtain a re-entry guarantee from their releasing units to be able to return to open-ended status. An open-ended staff who does not have a re-entry to his/her releasing unit acknowledges that by applying to this position, s/he is entering a Term position, if selected, and will not be able to maintain his/her open-ended status. Executive Directors must conduct an annual overall performance review for their administrative support staff consistent with WBG annual performance review processes.
If an already open-ended candidate in an ED office gets selected, s/he will retain his/her open-ended status based on already meeting the eligibility and prior conversion decision per the ED ACS conversion policy. Such candidate may be subject to rotation as required by the Corporate Secretary.
Roles & Responsibility:
Under the guidance of the Senior Program Assistant, the Program Assistant will provide the full range of office/administrative support to the Executive Director’s office including, but are not limited to the following:
• Working with a high level of discretion and diplomacy in setting and managing priorities and workflow in an efficient and organized manner for the Alternate Executive Director, Senior Advisors, and Advisors.
• Preparing, processing, and handling various information and data of sensitive and confidential nature.
• Scheduling appointments and coordinating mission travel, independently resolving scheduling conflicts, screening, and prioritizing incoming correspondence and monitoring activities to ensure appropriate follow-up.
• Drafting, editing, and formatting documents, statements, and correspondence by the Executive Director’s office staff.
• Writes at a professional level in English and Spanish.
• The Program Assistant will independently respond, in a timely and highly professional manner, to extensive and diverse external/internal inquiries and general requests by drafting, and formatting standard and routine correspondence, and make decisions when multiple courses of action are possible.
• Ensuring that relevant background materials are available for meetings, deadlines are met, and documents are of high quality and adhere to administrative and operational guidelines.
• Providing general research support to the Executive Director’s office on a diverse range of topics. This entails independently assessing tasks, inquiries and requests, determining and finding additional information that may be required.
• Maintaining and updating contact lists and the filing system.
• Prioritizing and channeling telephone calls and mail; monitoring and following-up on issues and priorities; and ensuring that appropriate consultations take place.
• Coordinating and monitoring multiple and diverse work processes and activities, ensuring smooth operation of ongoing office administrative functions.
• Assisting in managing a roster of common service tasks performed by administrative staff and coordinating the timely delivery of products.
• Handling and assisting with the administrative arrangements on appointment/relocation of office staff.
• Establishing and maintaining an effective database network of contacts inside and outside the Bank, assuring continuity during periodic staff transitions.
• Performing ad hoc duties as may be assigned, including back-up to the Senior Program Assistant, as required.
• Assisting to organize official events and seminars, especially during the World Bank/IMF Annual and Spring Meetings.
• Accompanies the office team to the Annual Meetings when held in member countries (once in three years).
• Provides administrative and logistical support to the ED’s office and delegations from constituency countries.
* Must have a high school diploma and minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience; undergraduate college degree preferred.
* Excellent office support and organizational skills, including being proactive and demonstrated ability to prioritize and deliver assignments in a timely manner, often under severe time pressure.
* Excellent command of written and spoken English and Spanish, including ability to independently draft a variety of formal and informal correspondence; to proofread/edit materials using proper grammar, punctuations, and proper style.
* Familiarity with the constituency countries is desirable.
* Superior interpersonal and diplomacy skills including demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented and multi-cultural environment.
* Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion while conducting work.
* Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with high-level government officials.
* Demonstrated ability to function under time pressure and to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment of changing priorities.
* Proactive attitude, self-starter, outstanding leadership skills with ability to work with staff at all levels (inside and outside the World Bank Group).
* Good knowledge and understanding of administrative/operational procedures applicable to the World Bank Group and ability to independently propose interpretation and application of such procedures.
* Advanced working skills in multiple computer software applications (e.g., Microsoft Office, Outlook, Webex, Teams, SAP/Admin Portal) and able to coach less experienced staff on relevant technology and systems.
* Willingness and flexibility to work overtime, including weekends, if required.
• Technology and systems knowledge – Has advanced proficiency of latest technology relevant to assigned responsibilities. Demonstrates initiative in learning and/or supporting implementation of emerging technology and systems relevant to effective work of the unit.
• Project and task management – Able to organize, coordinate, monitor and implement tasks and projects. Demonstrates ownership and accountability for results. Demonstrates innovation and creativity in promoting effectiveness.
• Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of administrative and policy guidelines, practices, products, and services in area of assigned functional responsibility; can guide others in complex situations.
• Versatility and adaptability – Able to anticipate, facilitate and catalyze change in the business environment and accurately assess the need for new skills and knowledge. Demonstrates continued learning attitude, supporting others in their learning and change management efforts.
• Lead and Innovate – Suggests improvements to solve problems.
• Deliver Results for Clients – Takes personal responsibility to make things better for the client.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Initiates collaboration beyond the team.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Proactively and regularly shares knowledge.
• Make Smart Decisions – Identifies information needed to support decisions.
This internal requisition is open to WBG and IMF staff only (including short-term and extended term consultants/ temporaries). External candidates are requested not to apply. In case an external candidate applies, their application will not be considere
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.