Requisition ID: req35127
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Not Applicable
Location: ChiÈ™inÄƒu, Moldova
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC seeks to be an operational and inspiring leader in matters of resettlement, asylum, and integration, demonstrating its credibility and expertise as a leading service provider, partner, and advocate across the arc of the global displacement crisis.
Across Europe, the IRC delivers programs that address the acute humanitarian needs of asylum-seekers and other vulnerable migrants who are newly arrived, stranded, or in transit, and programs that address their longer-term integration needs.
Earlier this year, IRC launched its newest country program in Moldova to respond to the Ukrainian crisis in collaboration with local civil society organizations. With a population of only 2.64 million, Moldova has seen over 600,000 refugees cross its borders in search of safety. While most refugees transit onward toward Romania and other European countries, the number of nearly 100,000 Ukrainians and expected to increase in the coming months. Given its small size and limited resources, Moldova’s capacity is already under strain with pressures on energy supplies and high inflation. The IRC envisages a humanitarian program in Moldova targeting both refugees and Moldovans, with interventions designed to save lives and relieve humanitarian suffering, with a focus on education, gender-based violence prevention and response, and protection services along with support for integration.
The Program Coordinator represents IRC in Moldova and plays a leading role in ensuring overall program quality and impact in the country. The Program Coordinator ensures that programs are evidence and needs-driven and monitored closely.
The Program Coordinator / Moldova reports to the Head of Office and directly leads a growing team of program and technical experts.
Deadline to apply; December 10, 2022.
Program Strategy and Design
• Working in collaboration with Moldova program staff, and HQ-based Technical Unit staff ensures that programs are designed according to a robust context analysis, IRC strategy guidance, and industry-standard methodologies.
• Identify and create opportunities for potential program growth through ongoing consultation with stakeholders, assessments, and ongoing participation in coordination efforts.
• Actively participate in the development and implementation of IRC’s Strategy 100, including review processes.
• Lead IRC Moldova Business Development strategy in coordination with the Grants and Partnership Manager.
Program Management – Implementation, Monitoring, and Evaluation
• Provide overall leadership and management to Moldova programs, ensuring strategic program direction and compliance with IRC and donor regulations.
• Coordinate proposal and project development with the Grants and Partnership Manager (designing, writing, and editing as needed).
• Working in collaboration with Moldova program staff and Technical Unit staff, ensuring that program implementation is managed closely through the development of work plans, indicator tracking sheets, and approved monitoring plans. Ensure that monitoring data is used to improve program performance.
• Ensure the financial health of all projects by monitoring expenditures within each project on the monthly basis and ensuring that well-structured corrective action is initiated and tracked where required.
• Provide leadership to the program staff to ensure – in coordination with the program team the development of timely, high-quality, and regulation-compliant activity reporting per IRC and donor guidelines.
• In consultation with the IRC Technical Units ensure thoughtful monitoring and strategic evaluations of the selected program and contribute to existing sectoral evidence and advocacy.
Efficiency and Accountability within Support Services
• Coordinate the provision of efficient and effective support services to all Moldova programs.
• Provide regular/timely feedback and recommendations on operational issues to the Head of Office to ensure corrective measures are put in place and good practices are upheld.
Management, Learning, and Development
• Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, as needed, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance goals, and providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback.
• Ensure effective and open communication and professional relationships between team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing follow-up and support to enable staff to successfully perform their duties.
• Participate in the recruitment of staff according to the organizational chart and new program development.
Representation and Coordination
• Represent IRC with the donor officials, partners, and other stakeholders in Moldova.
• Represent IRC in donor and inter-agency coordination meetings and ensure that IRC’s contribution to the response in Moldova is well-coordinated with other initiatives.
• Attending conferences, working group coordination mechanisms, etc. find opportunities for IRC to grow its partner’s network and profile in the country.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required, advanced degree a plus.
• Excellent professional track record with at least five years of experience in humanitarian and/or development programs.
• Strong background in leading and building programs and/or operations in fast-paced, complex environments. Leadership and team management skills are important, as well as strong project management skills.
• Previous experience in proposal and/or report writing and data analysis;
• Previous experience in staff management.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to manage and lead a team to achieve goals in complex working environments. Flexible and proven team player with the ability to nurture and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and other organizations.
• Excellent program development skills to effectively design new programs and contribute to grant proposals.
• Demonstrates a systematic and efficient approach to work.
• Strong analytical skills and sound judgment.
• Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the senior -management team. Must seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
• Committed to staff training and development.
• Fluency in both Romanian and English is a plus.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.