|Posting Title:||Programme Officer (Export Quality Management), DECI/SEC, P3 (Temporary Job Opening)|
|Job Code Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||International Trade Centre|
|Posting Period:||23 November 2022 – 29 November 2022|
|Job Opening Number:||22-Programme Management-ITC-196051-J-Geneva (X)|
Org. Setting and Reporting
The International Trade Centre (ITC) assists developing and transition economy countries to take advantage of expanding trade opportunities in an increasingly complex global environment. ITC supports Trade Impact for Good, promoting sustainable and inclusive development goals through trade.
The Division of Enterprise Competitiveness and Institutions (DECI) works from an innovative and inclusive market-driven approach to enhance the competitiveness of MSMEs from developing countries and to connect them to international value chains and markets supported by strong business support organisations and institutional ecosystems. DECI contributes to enhancing exporters’ competitiveness and strengthening institutions.
The Sector and Enterprise Competitiveness (SEC) Section helps developing country MSMEs address the challenges around sustainable value-chain development, catalysing sector-wide transformation, and improving market linkages – including using new digital channels.
Within SEC, ITC’s Export Quality Management (EQM) practice improves the competitiveness of enterprises in developing countries/economies in transition by enhancing their capacity to meet technical requirements in export markets and overcome technical barriers to trade (TBT) and comply with sanitary and phytosanitary measures (SPS). As a result of the EQM capacity building training programmes and advisory services provided to policy makers, business support organizations (BSO)and enterprises:
1. The technical regulatory framework is enhanced;
2. The National Quality Infrastructure and the National SPS Infrastructure are upgraded to support MSMEs to improve participation in international trade
3. MSMEs are able to understand the technical requirements prevailing in export markets, supply competitive products in target markets, demonstrate compliance with technical requirements in importing countries.
Within this overall context, the goal of this position is to contribute to the fulfilment of the above-mentioned objectives through the implementation of technical assistance projects.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Adviser on Export Quality Management and the overall guidance of the Chief, Sector and Enterprise Competitiveness (SEC) section, and in close collaboration with other EQM team members, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties for various technical Quality-related projects implemented by ITC:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other duties as required.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of technical barriers to trade (TBT) or sanitary and phytosanitary measures (SPS) related to trade Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field such as science engineering.
A first-level university degree in the specified field of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
Experience in the field of sanitary and phytosanitary measures (SPS) is desirable.
Experience in technical barriers to trade (TBT, including standards, technical regulations and
conformity assessment) is desirable.
For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; and knowledge of French is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
The conditions of service are governed by the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. This is a temporary appointment for an initial eight (8) months and may be subject to extension.
Applications from women and nationalities from developing and least developing countries are particularly encouraged.
ITC champions workforce diversity, inclusion, gender equality and gender parity and considers all qualified persons – of all genders – equally, including those with disabilities, without discrimination or prejudice of any kind. ITC also offers attractive flexible work arrangements to help promote a healthy work/life balance and to allow all staff members to express and develop their talents fully.
Given the nature of the temporary opportunity, priority consideration may be given to candidates already located at the duty station.
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
ITC Internal staff on fixed-term, continuing or permanent appointment, if selected, may be entitled to Special Post Allowance as per Staff Rule 3.10.
For information on salary and entitlements, please consult the International Civil Service Commission website: http://icsc.un.org
United Nations Considerations
In accordance with the United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ITC if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to carefully follow all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances, and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision, or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ITC does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ITC are fraudulent and should be disregarded.