Organization: United Nations Development Programme
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Over the past 10 years, Serbia has made progress in modernizing its strategic and regulatory framework to support development of the information society. With digital transformation of the national economy and public administration high on the government’s agenda, Serbia now has a good chance for future-proofing its administration’s capabilities for rapid deployment of cost-effective, secure, and citizen-focused services, and coordinated implementation of ICT policies. First steps have been made with the establishment of the central Office for IT and e-Government (ITE) and strengthening of the Ministerial Council for IT and Innovative Entrepreneurship, but expectations from these institutions run high and they need an initial push to meet the expectations and demonstrate the ability of the government to deliver.
Serbia was the first country in the region to develop and adopt the Artificial Intelligence (AI) strategy for the period 2020-2025 (hereinafter AI strategy) and to establish the Institute for AI. The newly established Institute would lead the development of AI and provide the ground for rapid development of innovations and start up ecosystem and attract the new investment.
This project aims to support the efforts to build internal capacities of the ITE by establishing an AI implementation unit to strengthen and shape the nascent AI ecosystem in Serbia and improve collaboration among public and private sector and academia. The AI implementation unit seeks to underpin the institutional and legal frameworks for AI, secure effective coordination and monitoring of the AI strategy and assist other institutions in introducing AI use cases in priority sectors (medicine, energy, telecommunications, transport/mobility, smart cities, education, agriculture, justice/ethics, security, environment, public administration). Thus, the project aims at enhancing the digital transformation of Serbia’s economy, through increasing human capital, enhancing the regulatory framework and implementing innovative solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the UNDP Digital Innovations Project Manager, the job holder will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist the Project Manager in the coordinating and implementing programming activities detailed in the work plan
- Assist the Project Manager in developing a pipeline of innovative Artificial Intelligence projects and initiatives
- Assist Project Manager in monitoring the progress of projects and initiatives to ensure that their scope, budgets, and timelines are managed, risks are identified, and remedial steps are taken
- Participate in project meetings (e.g. steering committees) and maintain regular contact with partners (e.g. field visits) to monitor the progress and quality of the implementation of projects and initiatives supported by the Programme
- Represent UNDP in workshops, conferences and other events and meetings in the absence of the Project Manager (Digital Innovations) and assist in organizing events and meetings with stakeholders
- Assist in conducting secondary research, meeting reporting requirements, preparing project documents, policy briefs, concept notes, discussion papers, and presentations in areas including but not limited to the digital economy and artificial intelligence
- Developing knowledge products, blogs, and presentations relating to inclusive digital economies and other related topics
- Undertaking other specific tasks related to the Project as specified by the Project Manager from time to time.
The Project Associate reports to the Project Manager (Digital Innovations).
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Direction and Strategy-Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP Value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate.
- Business Management Partnerships Management
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies.
- Business Management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Business management-Digital Awareness and literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
- Business Management-Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Business Development-Knowledge generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
- Digital & Innovation-Digital Inclusion
- Knowledge of how digital inclusion works opportunities and challenges for governments and society
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science/ Information Technologies, Management or equivalent will be desired.
- Minimum 7 years (with Secondary education) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in private/public sector in financial services, digital economy or policy & regulation.
Fluency in English and Serbian is required.
- Experience in project management and hands on experience with IT project management.
- Applicants with Master’s will have an added advantage.
- Experience in coordinating with internal and or external stakeholders on projects.
- Experience in teamwork and coordination/implementation of complex projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination, and facilitation requirements.
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional, and local level.
- An established network of contacts in the private/public sector in Serbia will be an added advantage.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.