UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Today Ukraine is facing its most serious challenges since achieving independence in 1991. The ongoing war has already resulted in significant loss of life, unprecedented displacement, internally and towards neighboring countries, and devastating destruction of infrastructure. The UN Ukraine Flash Appeal shows that at least 15.7 million people are in immediate need of emergency assistance and protection. Early projections indicate that if the war should continue in the medium to long term, up to 90% of the Ukrainian population could face poverty and extreme economic vulnerability, and the country’s socio-economic progress could be set-back by almost 20 years. In the short-term, 62% of the population is at high risk of falling into poverty. Ukraine’s economy is set to shrink by 45% this year due to the war and even with a moderate recovery in the next few years, by 2025 the GDP would still only be two-thirds of the pre-war GDP in 2021.
In addition, the country faces losses of many people’s lives and devastative destruction of infrastructures and economic bases. Currently, more than 50% of the energy infrastructure damaged, causing the massive disruption of energy supply nationwide with millions of people experiencing power outages and challenges in heating. Extensive scale of destruction of infrastructure, rehabilitating or constructing infrastructures and installing equipment with necessary supply of the materials is urgently required to restore or maintain life-line and key basic services, followed by removal or mines and explosives as well as debris.
UNDP Ukraine is currently recruiting multiple positions for the NPSA 6 – Project Associate as per the following:
- Two Project Associates at the same level for the Regional Development Programme under the portfolio of Inclusive Development Recovery & Peacebuilding (IDRPB)
- Project Associates at the same level for other projects under various portfolios and for different locations.
In this context, the Project Associate will be responsible for the overall support of implementation of the IDRPB-Regional Development projects and other related outputs related to the portfolio. The incumbent will work in collaboration with the operations, programme, and project staff to exchange information and ensure consistent services delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Local Economic Development Specialist, and the overall guidance from the Regional Development Programme Manager, the Project Associate provides ongoing project and administrative assistance and support to the projects, performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. This position is a national position on a contract modality of “National Personnel Service Agreement” at NPSA-6 level.
I. Support in the coordination and implementation of designated project activities:
- Assist in the coordination, and implementation of selected activities/components within IDRPB-Regional Development projects
- Provide support to projects’ monitoring and evaluation activities, assist in data collection, and keep updated relevant databases, contact lists, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of regular updates and reports on projects’ progress, implementing issues, emerging risks/problems, and proposals for necessary remedial actions
- Participate in various project activities (meetings, round tables, conferences, other public activities) as requested by the supervisor
- Assist in the organization of online and offline events of the projects, and other communication activities
- Ensure full compliance of activities with UNDP rules/regulations, and policies/procedures.
II. Support in projects’ administration:
- Support in the organization and coordination of meetings, training sessions, workshops, conferences, and project events, as well as prepare reports and meeting minutes as required
- Assist in managing project finances, and processing invoices for project related goods and services
- Assist in preparing project budget and maintaining necessary budgetary controls and records
- Assist in managing procurement processes, and provide inputs for request for quotations/proposals as well as for the projects’ procurement plans
- Prepare tenders’ documentations and small procurements (canvassing) under the guidance from the Procurement Analyst
- Assist in the procurement processes including vendor creation, e-requisitions, etc.
- Assist in drafting terms of references for consultants and contractors as required, and provide support to the recruitment of short-term consultants in line with UNDP rules and regulations
- Assist the project teams, experts, and consultants with travel and logistics matters
- Coordinate and organize trainings, field visits, missions, and conferences as needed
- Keep accurate electronic and paper filing, information, and records systems.
III. Support in networking/communicating with partners and beneficiaries:
- Assist in maintaining cooperation and communication with projects’ partners and beneficiaries on the implementation of the agreed activities, especially for the events, trainings, and workshops that will be conducted
- Maintain the contact database related to partners and beneficiaries, assist in sharing information, and following up on partnership related issues as assigned by the supervisor
- Prepare official correspondences for national and international partners.
Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the project/programme.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
Administration & Operations:
Documents and records management
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
Events management (including retreats, trainings and meetings)
- Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
- Knowledge of contract management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Economics, Human Resources, Finance, Accounting, Social Sciences, or other related fields will be given due consideration.
- Minimum six (6) years with secondary education or three (3) years with bachelor’s degree of working experience in the field of Programme/ project support or other related fields
- Experience in organizing events (online and/or offline) is an advantage
- Experience with UN/UNDP or International organizations or Development organizations is an advantage
- Experience in performing administrative tasks is desired
- Experience in facilitating procurement processes is desired.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian.
This is a national position only Ukrainian nationals are eligible to apply for this position.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.