The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
About the position
The Research Associate – Economist is expected to contribute to the Alliance’s expanding research portfolio on Climate Action and the CGIAR Hub for Sustainable Finance (or OneSF) in the Asia region.The Climate Action Lever is a framework that guides the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT’s work on climate change mitigation and adaptation. It focuses on enhancing the resilience of agricultural systems, supporting policies and institutions for climate action, and strengthening research and innovation. The goal is to transition towards more sustainable, resilient, and equitable food systems in the face of climate change.
OneSF was established in 2022 to leverage the CGIAR scientific expertise and extensive network to accompany private investors through the transition to sustainable and climate resilient food, water and land systems. As part of CGIAR’s ongoing transition towards One CGIAR, the CGIAR has reaffirmed its commitment to work with the private sector (Open for Business: Pathways to strengthen CGIAR’s responsible engagement with the private sector). As a member of the Asia team for Climate Action and OneSF- the incumbent will be part of the team of scientists working on climate risk assessment of agriculture communities and commodities and sustainable finance. More specifically, the candidate will provide technical support to ongoing climate insurance projects, sustainable finance, and proposed bilateral projects on climate risk management and advisory services. He/she will focus his/her work on the areas of impact assessment and economic valuation.
1. Participate in interdisciplinary, collaborative projects and activities:
- Assessing willingness-to-pay of farmers on drought index climate insurance in order to develop tailor-fitted weather protect insurance;
- Ex-ante and Ex-post impact assessment of weather protect climate insurance and crop advisory;
- Measuring and valuing ecosystem services or CSA practices (e.g. water, soil, biodiversity, productivity) to develop indicators for the OneSF Analyzer.
2. Coordinate in-country research operations and initiatives for further program development:
- Managing relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree with academic background in economics, agricultural economics, or related field;
- At least 2-5 years of research-related work experience in impact assessment and econ valuation including a demonstrated capacity for facilitating interdisciplinary teamwork and inter-institutional collaboration;
- Proficient in statistical tools and software (e. g. STATA and/or R);
- Areas of professional expertise and interest; Economic analysis (Impact assessment and Willingness-to-pay) and planning related to any of the following research themes:
- Climate risks insurance in agriculture
- Investment prioritization for climate-resilient agricultural commodities/ systems
- Economic valuation of ecosystem services.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral, as evidenced by publications, public presentations and/or media engagements.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time position based in Los Banos, Philippines and available for Filipino nationals. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of one year fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation. This position is subjected to an initial three month probation period and is graded at a level BG6 in a scale of 14 levels being BG14 the highest level. The position can work remotely from home and only travel to office in Los Banos – or any other location where the expert services are needed – upon request.
The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender, diversity and inclusion in our staff, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.
To be considered for this position, please send an email to HR Unit: T.ToMai@cgiar.org
(Ms. To Mai Trang), cc M.Raju@cgiar.org
(Ms. Monissa Raju) with the subject line “Application: Research Associate – Economist – Your full name–“. In your email, please include:
1. A cover letter illustrating your motivation to apply and suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications and work responsibilities;
2. A detailed curriculum vitae, including the names and email addresses of three professional referees who are knowledgeable about your skills and professional abilities.
This position is urgent and will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. Only qualified applicants with relevant skills and experience will be contacted. We recommend applying as soon as possible and no later than 31 March 2023 (extension possible if no suitable candidate has been selected).