WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
This is an opportunity for an exciting and challenging position within a multicultural and interdisciplinary team, based in a unique location, on a highly relevant topic. In addition, we offer:
➡️Meaningful and impactful careers: Our daily work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
➡️ Continuous learning and training.
➡️ A multicultural and supportive work environment.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Education: Advanced university degree in Business/Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, International Development, Commerce or other relevant field, or First University degree in the same disciplines with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training.
Experience: At least five (5) or more of postgraduate professional work experience in leading, undertaking and/or contributing to risk management activities, including assessing and recommending effective internal controls and mitigation actions, in various organizations that use modern enterprise risk management frameworks, techniques and systems.
Languages: Fluency (level C) in both written and spoken English and French.
These jobs are located in Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) covering both the risk and compliance responsibilities. In RBs, the job holders are part of a regional team and report to the Regional Risk and Compliance Advisor or Regional Risk focal point. In COs, the job holders report to the Country Director or the Deputy Country Director with functional supervision from the Regional Risk and Compliance Advisor where present, or the Chief of the Enterprise Risk Management Unit. Job holders operate individually or may be part of a risk & compliance team.
Provide advice and specialized support in the establishment of effective risk assessment and risk management activities; application of controls and compliance with policies and procedures; and contribution to the overall effectiveness of operations and optimization of WFP resources by championing the mainstreaming of WFP’s risk and compliance framework.
1. Ensure risk assessment is embedded in planning and decision making through developing and monitoring of key risk appetite metrics and risk indicators, and regular updating of risk registers, including progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
2. Provide advice to RB and CO management and staff in enhancing the existing processes on risk & compliance issues and on maintaining an effective internal control environment to support operational efficiency.
3. Provide assistance in ensuring that the use of all WFP resources is in conformity with approved CO strategic plans/project plans, WFP rules and procedures, and donor funding agreements.
4. Proactively contribute to ideas on enhancement of adequate internal control systems with clear accountabilities, including performance and risk management systems, monitoring and oversight processes and techniques, tools, processes to support their implementation.
5. Contribute to the development of compliance Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by 1st Line of Defense colleagues for managing the risk and compliance process, including criteria for conducting risk and compliance missions, training materials and modules, etc.
6. Support relevant managers in their regular and ad hoc risk assessments in regional, country and field offices: to identify and assess risks, assess effectiveness of the internal controls, and evaluate the potential for fraud and corruption in operational activities.
7. Support risk management effectiveness across the office and all aspects of WFP’s operations.
8. Support managers in their fact finding reviews and fraud risk assessments. Collect and analyse data on fraud incidents, fraud risk metrics, and fraud risk appetite, provide training in AFAC standards.
9. Facilitate accountability across functional units, prepare comprehensive reports summarising the status of compliance of internal controls, key oversight themes, and using risk information (e.g. risk indicators, incidents) to highlight areas out of risk appetite and formulate sound recommendations on required actions in areas of risk & compliance vulnerability.
10. Support managers in the preparation of risk information for management to share with external stakeholders such as UN system-wide engagement, donors, and partners
11. Assess information/training needs and prepare and deliver training programmes or information sessions for colleagues and partners in RB or CO to enhance understanding of risk management and compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
12. Support risk management focal points in region/country offices.
13. Demonstrate managerial and functional skills by effectively managing a team and building staff capabilities for high performance results.
14. Other duties, as required.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Purpose Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives Utilizes understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives to communicate linkages to team objectives and work. Be a force for positive change Proactively identifies and develops new methods or improvements for self and immediate team to address work challenges within own work area. Make the mission inspiring to our team Identifies opportunities to further align individual contributions with WFP’s mission of making an impact on local communities. Make our mission visible in everyday actions Helps colleagues to see the link between their individual tasks and the contributions of their unit’s goals to the broader context of WFP’s mission. People Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills Is able to identify, support and encourage focused on-the-job learning opportunities to address gaps between current skillsets and needed future skillsets for WFP. Create an inclusive culture Recognizes the contributions of teammates, and encourages contributions from culturally different team mates to recognise the value of diversity above and beyond just including it in programming for beneficiaries. Be a coach & provide constructive feedback Provides and solicits ongoing constructive feedback on strengths and development opportunities to help develop individual skills, whilst also helping others identify areas for improvement. Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit Sets clear targets for self and others to focus team efforts in ambiguous situations (e.g., unprecedented issues and/or scenarios) Performance Encourage innovation & creative solutions Thinks beyond team’s conventional approaches to formulate creative methods for delivering food aid and assistance to beneficiaries. Focus on getting results Maintains focus on achieving individual results in the face of obstacles such as volatile or fragile environments and/or organizational roadblocks. Make commitments and make good on commitments Takes personal accountability for upholding and delivering upon team’s commitments and provides assurance to stakeholders. Be Decisive Demonstrates ability to adjust to team’s plans and priorities to optimize outcomes in light of evolving directives, while also responding quickly in highpressure environments, such as in emergency settings.Connect and share across WFP units Demonstrates an understanding of when and how to tactfully engage other units in conversations on impact, timing, or planning Build strong external partnerships Networks regularly with key external partners using formal and informal opportunities to understand each partner’s unique value proposition, and to build and strengthen relationships Be politically agile & adaptable Demonstrates ability to adapt engagement approach in the context of evolving partner circumstances and expectations Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships Demonstrates ability to articulate to internal and external audiences the value that individual contributions and immediate teams bring to partnerships.
• Has gained programme/project management experience
• Has led monitoring and reporting activities, demonstrating knowledge of results hierarchy, performance metrics and measurement
• Has conducted risk analysis and developed risk mitigation strategies
TO SAVE AND CHANGE LIVES ❤ Make a difference, the world will notice. We are driven by our mission to fight global hunger and fuel dreams of a better future.
TO JOIN A GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍 Build bridges that unite people around the world. Being part of a global, diverse, and multicultural community like WFP will constantly expose you to innovative ideas and perspectives. The way we carry out our mission with a deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between each member of our global team will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on many levels.
UNLIMITED OPPORTUNITIES 💡 Unlock opportunities you never thought you would find. WFP goes wherever it’s needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐ Go beyond yourself and discover your true potential. WFP offers life-changing experiences that you probably won’t find in many other organizations.
Join us in making a difference, watch this video to learn more about us!!!
Has gained programme/project management experience • Has conducted monitoring and reporting activities, demonstrating knowledge of results hierarchy, performance metrics and measurement • Has conducted risk analysis and developed risk mitigation strategies
Click ‘Apply’ link below to start the application process. Candidate are requested to create an account in WFP E-Recruitment system before applying.
Please also include your CV with a cover letter, highlighting your motivation and suitability for this vacancy, as part of an online application.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package including basic salary and medical insurance.
Please visit https://www.wfp.org/countries/benin to learn more about WFP’s operations in Benin.
WFP DOES NOT RECEIVE FEES AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT REQUIRE BANKING INFORMATION.
December 6, 2022
Contract duration: 11 months, renewable