|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Works with the Designated Field Manager and the Head of Safety and Security (HoSS) at the CO to coordinate:
- The development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
- Ensure all Ogoja office and its operational locations complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies.
- Provide support as required to the Field Incident Management Team in case of security-related crisis
Assessment and Analysis
- Coordinate with the alternate Security Focal Points for the preparation & delivery of high quality reports, analysis and security by gathering information from a variety of sources.
- The Security Officer will submit written weekly Field security report to the Field Manager and HoSS.
- The Security Officer will coordinate field office weekly security briefing.
- Ensure that incident reports are properly compiled in a timely manner by staff and shared with the Field Manager and HoSS.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow up actions and recommendations
- Provide security updates which include situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended to SC Field management team
Policies and procedures
- Ensure that all Ogoja staff understand the country-wide security plan and agree to abide by its policies and procedures.
- Monitor the security environment and adjust security policies and procedures accordingly in consultation with the Field Managers and the HoSS
- Ensure quality and relevance of area security plans.
- Undertake reviews of policies and procedures; identify opportunities to enhance security.
- Advise on safe movement for staff e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communication equipment in vehicles and training drivers in established procedures and requisite skills
- Assist with proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security need and inclusion of security costs.
- Undertake security assessments of and field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Provide safety and security support and advise to Field TAs Programme managers.
Communication and Training
- Liaise on a regular basis with other INGOs and UN agencies in Ogoja, government and local administration and where possible with community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information
- Coordinate the gathering and flow of information with other relevant actors; classify security information according to its reliability and accuracy
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of SCI communication equipment/systems and alert the Field Manager of any hardware failures
- Develop security briefing material and provide orientation to incoming or newly appointed staff
- Coordinate Safety and Security trainings to SCI Ogoja staff and partners. Trainings will include medical, communications, guard force and driving but will also include other higher-level security trainings.
- Provide timely security briefings for visitors to Ogoja and on occasions escort visitors on field missions
- Develop and implement security training for all Ogoja staff, develop and apply evaluation processes to determine whether training competencies are met.
- The successful candidate will have a high degree of common sense and a genuine interest in people.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Delivering Results (Skilled)
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
Innovating and Adapting (Skilled)
- Suggests creative improvements and better ways of working
- Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
- Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
- Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Skilled)
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts
Working Effectively With Others (Skilled)
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Communicating With Impact (Skilled)
- Actively listens and seeks to understand before being understood
- Ensures communications are concise and well-structured
- Shares appropriate relevant and timely information with others
- Prepares effectively for meetings
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- A clear understanding of the philosophy and mode of operation of NGOs
- Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with field level , national and international institutions
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in complex and insecure settings
- Well organised with ‘people skills’
- Ability and willingness to travel within Cross-River, Benue and Taraba states in Nigeria is essential.
- Demonstrable network of contacts within Nigeria
- Computer literate – Able to use Microsoft office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and spoken English leading to the ability to produce a high standard of both written and oral work
- Ability to analyse information
- The ability to work harmoniously in a multi-national / multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task and anticipate problems
- Ability to speak the local languages is an advantage.
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Background training and service in any security service.
Values and Critical Competencies
- An understanding of the Humanitarian Principles
- Active listener
- Capable of displaying Leadership
- Self-reliant, reliable
- Clear understanding of Decision, Action, Consequence