This position is under ADB’s new operating model. As the terms of reference for the new departments are still being finalized, the terms of reference for the position may change. By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the implementation of the new operating model.This position is under ADB’s new operating model. As the terms of reference for the new departments are still being finalized, the terms of reference for the position may change. By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the implementation of the new operating model.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
This position is assigned in the Climate Change and Sustainable Development Department (CCSD) which leads the development of policy, strategy, operational plans and guidelines, and knowledge products in the thematic areas. The Department is responsible for the following five thematic areas: (i) climate change and resilience, covering climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability; (ii) gender; (iii) transition states and engagement; (iv) digital technology for development; and (v) regional cooperation and integration (RCI) and trade. The department is responsible for: (i) setting strategic directions in the five thematic areas and monitoring achievements, (ii) integrating thematic priorities into ADB’s operations, and (iii) engaging and convening external partners on thematic issues.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Director leads the Climate Change and Resilience Division, which covers climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability, working to position ADB as the region’s climate bank. The Senior Director will particularly coordinate ADB’s engagement in the climate change area, and drive partnerships with regional departments and other solutions departments to develop programs of operations that can achieve ADB’s climate ambitions and provide guidance and support to operations teams engaged in climate change areas.
The incumbent will report to Director General, CCSD and will supervise international staff (IS), national staff (NS) and administrative staff (AS).
• Provides strategic leadership on climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability areas. Leads the development of ADB policies, strategies, guidelines, operational plans, guidelines and initiatives in these areas.
• Enhances ADB’s visibility externally in the climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability area. Propose and implement ADB’s initiatives and external partnerships, coordinate the development and dissemination of impactful knowledge products, identifying partnership opportunities including mobilizing additional resources.
• Leads ADB’s efforts to implement ADB’s Operational Priority #3 (Tackling Climate Change, Building Climate and Disaster Resilience, and Enhancing Environmental Sustainability). Coordinate the planning and implementation of ADB’s climate change actions and to achieve ADB’s climate financing ambitions and align ADB’s operations with the Paris Agreement.
• Advises, supports, and provides solutions to Regional Department DGs and Country Directors to drive integration of climate change, disaster risk management and environmental sustainability into country programs.
• Advises clients and stakeholders on strategies in these areas; support resident missions’ policy dialogue. Oversees the creation of tools and thematic diagnostics. Ensures participation and contribution of the Division to the regional management teams.
• Oversees organization and assignment of thematic staff support to country programs and projects to ensure that regional Departments and solutions Departments units and project teams, receive adequate support to achieve regional and country work programs and targets for scaling up climate finance for ADB sectoral and policy based lending operations, optimize mobilization of private sector and other sources of climate finance in support of ADB operations and non-ADB investments in climate actions in and across DMCs.
• Monitors and reports ADB achievements of climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability corporate targets in thematic areas, such as for climate financing.
• Build ADB’s knowledge base, including scientific knowledge on Climate Change and the environment.
• Ensures that ADB develops subject matter expertise and technical capabilities. Oversees the training and development of ADB staff skills in climate change, environment and resilience areas. Builds communities of knowledge of staff engaged in climate change, disaster risk management, and environmental sustainability areas, managing affiliation of staff in other Departments as One ADB.
• Partners with regional Directors General, sector Directors, PSOD, OMDP , and Country Directors to assess the performance of matrixed managers and staff.
• Builds a highly motivated workforce within the Division, establishing a culture in line with the goal to maximize OneADB’s development impact and embodies ADB’s core values (to be “client-centric,” “trustworthy,” and “transformational”). Delegates decision-making and empowers teams, and proactively building staff leadership and management capabilities.
• Working as One ADB, establish and maintain close collaboration with directors in CCSD and as well as with Sectors Group, PSOD, OMDP, and Regional Departments. Ensures optimal use of staff resources and collaboration across the three themes to provide the right expertise to RDs, RMs and other relevant Departments.
• Manages the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
• Provides coaching and mentoring to teams and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s Degree in climate change or a related field.
• At least 15 years of relevant experience within the field at senior levels (e.g. managing large teams), with good knowledge of the Asia Pacific region.
• Recognized leader and authority in climate change and related areas, combining strong intellectual leadership with a track record of building stakeholder coalitions to achieve high ambitions, mobilizing private and public financing and leading successful operational sectoral and thematic initiatives and programs, and effectively contributing the design of operations.
• Strong advocacy and partnership building skills to advance ADB’s agenda and connect with various stakeholders and create opportunities to collaborate and innovate.
• Excellent capabilities in people and talent leadership, strong client and impact orientation, and effective communication.
• International experience working in several countries and multiple ADB regions.
• Experience in the private sector desirable
• Please refer to the ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 9.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.