Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. It is governed by 188 member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with over 15,000 staff located globally. For more information, please visit www.worldbank.org
The Sustainable Development Practice Group helps countries tackle their most complex challenges in the areas of Agriculture; Climate Change; Environment and Natural Resources; Social Development; Urban, Resilience and Land Development; and Water.
The Sustainable Development Practice Group hosts an Office of the Chief Economist. The major functions of this Office are to support knowledge intensive activities in the Sustainable Development Practice Group, undertake research, promote collaboration and to liaise with the academic community. It seeks to empower teams with knowledge and information to deliver the best global advice to client countries. The Office aims to serve as a small think-tank for the Practice Group to ensure that investment and advisory decisions are informed by the latest rigorous evidence. The work program contains three interrelated pillars: knowledge creation and dissemination; building and maintaining capacity of staff within the Practice Group; and support customized needs of the Practice. To deliver on its wide mandate the Office is seeking to hire a Senior Economist with outstanding analytical and communication skills.
The Senior Economist is expected to work in high profile engagements, with a special focus on complex analytical work and will lead and manage reviews of important documents such as SCDs and CPFs. She/he will report to the Chief Economist.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 4-year term appointment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Lead and provide high quality reviews of important World Bank reports such as SCDs and CPFs, including managing and curating inputs from other specialists across the Practice Group;
• Develop and contribute to high-profile and technically demanding reports, that includes developing state-of-the-art approaches in applied economic analysis and econometrics;
• Oversee the preparation of, and produce, a range of high-quality policy papers, policy notes and reports as requested;
• Assist in the development and use of diagnostic tools and approaches for evidence-based assessments that could influence operational interventions;
• Assist GPs and country teams in analyzing sustainability related challenges to economic growth/productivity, including those emerging from human capital, natural resource degradation and allocative inefficiency;
• Provide high quality reviews for corporate products, quality control of deliverables, external reports and other documents as requested;
• Assist in the other tasks such as activities for the community of practice for Economists, BBLs, learning clinics, etc.;
• Ph.D. degree in economics with at least eight (8) years of relevant professional experience, including a track record of delivery of high quality analytical and advisory products.
• Strong analytical skills in econometrics, combined with demonstrable expertise in at least one of the following sub-disciplines: resource economics, agricultural economics, public economics, environmental economics, water economics, or urban economics.
• Familiarity with, and a track record of, commenting on corporate documents such as SCDs, CPFs, CCDRs, and CENs.
• A track record of outstanding report writing and communications skills.
• Proven ability to conduct policy-relevant research with publications in both academic journals and World Bank flagship publications.
• Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to present complex analyses to non-specialist audiences.
• Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments and adjust to a variety of complex evolving tasks to meet deadlines.
• Deep Knowledge of General Economics combined with Outstanding Analytical Skills – Intellectual leadership and an ability to apply economic and econometric tools to problems of sustainability.
• Knowledge of the Economics of Sustainable Development – Experience in preparing flagship reports, short advocacy papers, technical reviews, as well as technical publications relating to the economics of sustainability.
• Experience with core diagnostics – Familiarity with core analytical products such as SCDs, CPFs, and CCDRs with experience in reviewing and curating comments on these documents.
• Experience across a range of sectors – Expertise and an ability to work across sectors in the Sustainable Development Practice Group.
• Integrative Skills – Possesses in-depth understanding of Bank resources in all areas of work in the Practice Group, and proven fungibility.
• Outstanding Written and Verbal Communication Skills – A strong command of all forms of communication and delivers messages in a consistently effective, timely and engaging manner.
• Collaborate Across Boundaries and Manage Teams – Collaborate seamlessly across the WBG and an ability to manage the workflow of teams and the quality of outputs
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Establishes an environment where knowledge is created, applied and shored.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.