IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The position is located in the FAO office in Peshawar,KP. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
The position is envisioned under Livelihood and Food Security Improvement Fund project on SB 4 – SC 9 level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR in Pakistan, the guidance of the AFAOR Programme, direct supervision by Senior Project Officer and in close coordination with the Project Team, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks and duties:
The Senior Horticultural Specialist will provide technical expertise on horticulture production and pre and post-harvest management to achieve the outputs for which FAO is responsible under the USAID project in KP, including backstopping to the field teams. The Senior Horticulture Specialist will work collaboratively with horticulture and crop experts from other FAO projects to ensure best practices are adopted throughout the provincial program.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Liaise with relevant stakeholders including other implementing partners of the USAID funded projects, horticulture variety developers, nursery stock, disease management and harvesting service providers, horticulture product processing businesses, horticulture marketing entities etc.
• Provide specialized technical assistance in the implementation of the project activities and supervision/monitoring of horticulture production methods, disease management and harvesting processes for improving commercial gain;
• Provide technical support in response to the priority needs of community organizations, producer marketing groups, farmer business schools and other groups established or supported under the project;
• Provide capacity building of the FAO field teams in KP in horticulture production and disease management including advice and guidance to the field teams on formation and facilitation of groups in the project targeted area for dissemination of set of sustainable agriculture practices for adaptive research and participative learning in the target districts
• Collect and collate information on horticulture growing, harvesting and marketing conditions in the project areas;
• Draft technical specifications for the procurement of agricultural inputs, and plan the quantities of inputs to be procured under the project;
• Prepare relevant manuals and information, communication and education materials for horticulture producers on the best plantation and field management practices
• Provide hand on assistance during the course of implementation of horticulture producer training program through close collaboration and coordination with the field facilitators;
• Contribute to baseline and end line assessment surveys and analyses of the overall status of the horticulture sector for the areas targeted by the project;
• Assist in the preparation of project reports, case studies, success stories; Contribute to/edit reports, manuals, guidelines, other specialized publications as they relate to animal production, protection, good farming/agronomic practices, producer’s organizations;
• Provide cross-sectoral technical support to other FAO teams and projects in KP;
• Provide technical guidance in the broader areas of the horticulture program and its impact on food security
• Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the Senior Project Officer
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agronomy, agriculture, horticulture, silviculture, floriculture or related field.
• 8 years’ experience in development projects in the horticulture sector, or private sector horticulture plantations and operations or related fields, and knowledge of the KP fruit and vegetable varieties and production and marketing systems.
• Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Working knowledge of Urdu and Pashtu;
• National of Pakistan.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Previous management experience
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT