|Position Level||NS 5/6|
|Department||Office of Risk Management|
|Division||Credit Division 1|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Monday, March 6, 2023|
|Closing Date||Monday, March 20, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting at NS6 will still be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement posted at dual level of NS5/6.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Credit Division 1 within the Office of Risk Management (ORM). The Division provides advice on deal structuring and risk mitigation and provides credit decision and approval particularly for financial institutions, and project finance transactions. ORM has a broad mandate and ensures that ADB’s Treasury, Sovereign, and Nonsovereign operations are sustainable by safeguarding ADB’s rating, advising Board and Management on risk issues, and implementing and promoting a strong internal risk culture.
The Senior Risk Management Officer will conduct risk assessments and related due diligence work for ADB’s nonsovereign operations transactions, primarily loans and guarantees to Financial Institution (FI) counterparties including Commercial & Investment Banks, Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFIs) and Insurance Companies. The incumbent will also manage their own portfolio of transactions where they will conduct risk assessments and portfolio monitoring. The position also supports the formulation of ADB policies, guidelines and practices on risk management and portfolio monitoring.
The incumbent will report to Director, RMCD1 and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Risk Assessment
- Analyzes the credit worthiness of Financial Institutions based on assessment of quantitative, qualitative, and macro factors and recommends appropriate exposure limits.
- Reviews Concept Review Paper, Final Review Memorandum, Report and Recommendation of the President, Term Sheet, Closing Certificate and other forms of transaction documents and internally produced write-ups.
- Independently reviews, assesses, writes credit opinion, and provides recommendations for key transaction risks, covering, inter alia, sponsor, reputation, and structure risks in proposed financing transactions.
- Provides advice and recommendations to origination teams on appropriate risk mitigation measures, deal structuring, risk adjusted pricing, security and other commercial terms and financial covenants throughout the risk appraisal process.
- Provides guidance to origination and analyst teams on using the most appropriate rating models and inputs therein and approves the final credit ratings for individual transactions.
- Develops and updates best practice/lessons learnt for investments/exposure in a structured manner for sharing with/training of origination teams and stays up to date with developments in the sectors and transactions.
- Transaction Monitoring
- Independently reviews monitoring reports of non-sovereign FI debt and guarantee transactions, and determines the appropriate frequency of the monitoring report based on the specific risk profile of the transaction and recommending appropriate ratings.
- Evaluates and recommends approval for waivers, amendments, and consents related to various proposed changes to loan covenants and terms and conditions in legal documents, restructuring proposals for performing assets, and all changes to the security package for previously approved transactions.
- Recommends risk mitigation measures including those relevant to covenant structures, security arrangements, risk defeasance arrangements as applicable to reduce the risk profile of transactions, placing transactions on the Watch List based on increased risks or adverse trends, and recommending transfer of impaired transaction to ORM’s Remedial Management Unit (RMOD-RMU).
- Liaison and coordination
• Assists ORM Management with guidance on internal and external inquiries related to the relevant sector.
- Participates in selected due diligence missions to ensure comprehensive risk assessment of the proposed transaction or conduct independent site visits, if necessary.
- Provides support for Investment Committee meetings.
- Coordinates with Risk Policy and Architecture Division to ensure adherence to exposure limits.
- Contributes to the implementation of ADB wide strategies such as Strategy 2030.
- Assists in development and updating of Risk Acceptance Frameworks (RAFs) for Financial Institutions.
- Research and analysis
• Independently performs project evaluation, including industry and country research.
• Independently prepares periodic project profile reports and manages project databases.
• Prepares Quarterly Risk Reports and other reports and presentations as needed.
- Performs special duties assigned by Director, RMCD1 with respect to ORM-wide initiatives including, among other things, development of risk management system, verification of new risk rating tools, and refinement of pricing models. Provides support to other divisions and units in ORM.
- Provides support in the planning of various initiatives designed to facilitate RMCD1’s growth.
- Performs other credit risk management tasks as assigned and as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in engineering, finance, economics, accounting, or other related fields or its equivalent; university degree and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation would be an advantage.
- At least 10 years of corporate or financial institution credit risk experience in a local or international bank preferably as a senior credit officer, or similar position in a major corporation, rating agency, equity fund or multilateral/bilateral development organization, in risk management, deal origination and investment appraisal and 6 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated skills in relation to CAMEL analysis for banks, non-bank FIs, insurance and leasing companies. Experience in regional FI sector analysis and in-depth knowledge of nuances of regulatory NPL classifications a plus.
- Demonstrated corporate financial analysis and structuring skills are also required.
- Corporate bank working product knowledge (e.g. Trade finance, risk participations, sponsor guarantees).
- Ability to evaluate individual loans and guarantees proposals; Familiarity with industry best practice in corporate recovery and corporate restructuring, with legal frameworks and bankruptcy laws would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with trade finance products and working knowledge of Basel and banking regulations.
- Substantial exposure to multiple sectors and with an extensive industry network preferably in Asia and the Pacific region.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 5-6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.