|Position Level||IS 4|
|Department||Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department|
|Division||Gender Equality Thematic Group|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Monday, March 6, 2023|
|Closing Date||Monday, March 20, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
ADB has an ongoing organizational review which may result in the change of department/group and/or reporting arrangement(s). By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the organizational review.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned to the Gender Equality Thematic Group (SDTC-GEN) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. SDTC-GEN provides technical leadership for gender equality operations and strategic operational support for gender mainstreaming across all sector and thematic areas in line with ADB’s Strategy 2030 Operational Plan for Priority 2: Accelerating Progress in Gender Equality 2019-2024.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Social Development Specialist (Gender and Development) will provide support to the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the ADB Policy on Gender and Development (GAD) and Strategy 2030 Operational Plan for Priority 2 (OP2): Accelerating Gender Equality, work with operational departments on gender mainstreaming and support the effective implementation of project gender action plans; support the quality assurance of ADB’s gender mainstreaming standards in operations, and contribute to innovative knowledge work on gender equality in Asia and the Pacific. The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Gender Equality Thematic Group and will supervise national staff, and administrative staff.
- Contributes to the Gender Equality Thematic Groups workplan: a) ensures gender mainstreaming in other sectors and thematic policies, strategies, and operational plans of ADB; b) prepares implementation progress reports of the OP2 and GAD Policy; and c) prepares briefing notes and analytical write-up on gender for Management and the Board.
- Provides technical advice to the operations departments (ODs), both sovereign and nonsovereign, for integrating gender analysis and dimensions into country partnership strategies (CPS) and programming, and the Asian Development Fund’s country performance-based allocation as well as assist the preparation of selective country gender assessments as part of the CPS process.
- Provides technical advice to ODs on gender mainstreaming through quality assurance peer review process, monitoring implementation of project gender action plans (GAPs), tracking results, and carrying out review missions as required to elicit good practices from ongoing projects.
- Participates as ‘One-ADB’ team member in project processing missions to support ODs and provides guidance on project implementation and completion.
- Develops and implements regional technical assistance projects (TAs) on gender issues relevant to regional cooperation and economic integration, and works with ODs to design and implement gender pilot initiatives.
- Leads recruitment, contracting and managing consultants including providing leadership and supports in the delegation of tasks and responsibilities to other members of the gender team and consultants.
- Builds institutional partnerships on GAD and maintain knowledge networks with other agencies and organizations, including bilateral and multilateral development agencies, DMC governments, women’s NGOs. Coordinates with other international agencies and selected center of excellence in the preparation of joint reports, workshops, advocacy activities, etc.
- Pursues fundraising opportunities and knowledge partnerships.
- Prepares knowledge products and services on gender issues of importance, such as studies on current and emerging issues, operational tools (sector checklists and toolkits), and good practice project case studies. Disseminate ADB gender knowledge by organizing knowledge and learning events, use of media and website, social media, and representing ADB in external events.
- Leads organization of gender equality flagship events and other knowledge sharing events for internal and external audiences to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Conducts staff training and briefing sessions on areas relevant to gender mainstreaming.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree in international development, social science and/or gender studies, social sciences, e.g., anthropology, sociology, economics, or human geography or a University degree and at least 5 years of specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
- At least 8 years of work experience specifically working on gender mainstreaming and/or gender projects and programs.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Familiarity with and/or understanding of ADB’s approach to gender mainstreaming is preferable.
- Experience with gender in the private sector would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience working in monitoring and evaluation – preferably with a focus on gender data and statistics, applied to gender projects/programs.
- Strong research capacity and experience, with well-developed analytical aptitude and ability to synthesize and summarize voluminous information and data.
- Ability to engage effectively, and to develop and deepen partnerships with external stakeholders, including government officials, multilateral, and bilateral donors, CSOs.
- Experience in gender capacity development and/or design or delivery of training.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including tailoring for different formats and audiences.
- Communications experience, including with online platforms and social media, is an asset
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.