FAO Afghanistan is investing, across all 34 provinces, in resilience reinforcing actions that focus on protecting agriculture livelihoods and local ecosystems, boosting local production of nutritious foods and cash-incomes, and safeguarding critical agriculture sectoral development gains achieved over the past couple of decades through revitalizing rural markets and economy. In 2023, FAO will contribute to the humanitarian components of the UN Strategic Framework 2023-2025 through four priority actions: (i) Safeguarding Wheat Seed Security, (ii) Enhancing Local Production of Nutritious Food, (iii) Livestock Protection and Dairy Sector Support, and (iv) Restoring Irrigation Structures to Boost Cash Incomes. FAO will also contribute towards resilience building activities and longer-term transformational processes as part of the implementation of the UN Strategic Framework 2023-2025.
The position is located in the FAO Representation in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The Technical Adviser (Resilience) will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR), the direct supervision of the Head of the Field Programme Unit (Senior Emergency and Rehabilitation Officer) and the day to day guidance of the Deputy FAOR.
Support the implementation of the emergency and resilience programme in Afghanistan with specific focus on the ‘Strengthening rural livelihoods and food security program in Afghanistan’ funded by USAID.
This project will be implemented in over eight provinces of Afghanistan through four components and has the following four outcomes. Outcome 1: Increased production and processing of nutritious food through adoption of environmentally sustainable practices by smallholders; Outcome 2: Improved economic resilience of smallholders to shocks through enhanced rural diversification of agriculture-based livelihoods and income generation activities; Outcome 3:Enhanced enabling environment especially on enhancing the availability of quality seeds and other inputs at national level and making the same available at sub-national levels along with other extension services to smallholders; Outcome 4: Increased availability of information, learning, and analysis on food cultivation, harvesting, processing, storage and overall security and resilience building of smallholders.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support technical cooperation-related programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned technical cooperation-related programmes/projects; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions.
• Coordinates technical cooperation activities and programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for their implementation and leads the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analyses, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties.
• Provides advice regarding the development of policies and strategies related to technical cooperation, as well as regional, subregional and national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO’s work.
• Leads the timely implementation of the USAID supported rural livelihoods and food security project in Afghanistan.
• Ensures the contribution of the project to FAO Afghanistan’s overall programme and initiatives on food security, nutrition and resilience building.
• Leads and guides the overall implementation of the project activities and enhance the capacities of project staff and stakeholders to achieve the intended results and objectives of the project.
• Manages the project team and monitors work plans, project deliverables, budget utilization.
• Coordinates with various stakeholders for the successful implementation of the project.
• Supervises the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analyses and reports.
• Leads the reporting of the project progress to the donor on a regular manner; prepares project reports and documentation, including Quarterly Project Implementation Reports, semi-annual Progress Reports, technical reports and the Terminal Report as required by the resource partner/project document.
• Manages the project outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentation on assigned topics/activities.
• Supports the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues related to the project; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies, liaises with the relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Supports and reviews project assessments, as food security and rural livelihoods related issues and trends to inform the preparation of project monitoring, review, impact evaluation, and/or equivalent studies.
• Leads field missions to project area, including provision of guidance to external specialized technical consultants, and other parties.
• Supports proposal formulation, undertake analysis to inform programming priorities.
• Provides technical inputs to develop policies and strategies as well as guidelines on rural livelihoods and food security with the specific domains related to FAO’s work.
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Relevance and extent of experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Work experience in institutional capacity building process.
• Relevant experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses.
• Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programmes, budgets and human resources efficiently.
• Familiarity with UN agencies administrative, finance and operational systems.
• Familiarity and understating of Afghanistan geographical background, security sensitivity, climate, local customs and conditions and government structure is a strong advantage.