IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The IFC 3.0 strategy aims to stimulate more investment activity across emerging markets, especially in the Low Income Countries (LICs) and the Fragile and Conflict affected States (FCS). This strategy aims to create new opportunities for private investments in riskier markets and sectors by proactively working “upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to design and develop potential investment projects. Achieving these growth and impact ambitions at scale requires a different approach to business development, deal sourcing, and client support that relies on 1) a broader product offering to engage earlier in the project cycle and to secure opportunities; 2) a greater focus on preparing clients in nascent markets and sectors for investment; 3) a greater focus on value addition and the risk management of portfolio investment clients to enhance their performance; and 4) a longer time horizon and a more patient, longer-term perspective.
The Extended Term Consultant (ETC) will support the Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) unit’s efforts to enable investment opportunities in the Europe region, which includes the Western Balkans, the Caucasus, Moldova, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Croatia and Bulgaria, by 1) incubating high impact projects and initiatives that require upstream project development to reach the point of investment and by 2) getting potential clients ready for IFC investment through client preparation and development. The position will support the continuity of implementing ongoing projects for the first six months and the development and implementation of new projects going forward. The duration of the contract is one year with the possibility of its extension for a second year and will be under the supervision of the Regional Industry Upstream and Advisory Lead.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support the implementation of ongoing projects. The responsibilities include the delivery of three Upstream client engagements in the Retail and Property sectors and two MAS region-wide Upstream projects, as well as contributing to the delivery of cross-industry projects.
• Support the development of a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities in the MAS sectors by helping develop relationships with sponsors and other stakeholders. This includes conducting industry and market research, developing business development materials (e.g., PPT presentations, pitchbooks and proposals) and supporting business development discussions and negotiations.
• Support the evaluation, design, negotiation, and closing of new Upstream and Advisory engagements that focus on creating new projects for IFC investment or on enhancing the developmental impact of projects that are ready for financing.
• Deliver IFC’s early-stage project development and Advisory engagements with a strong focus on creating bankable projects from these engagements.
• Collaborate closely with investment teams to ensure the successful conversion of Upstream projects into IFC investments.
• Work closely with the relevant country managers and country officers, including on developing client engagement strategies and sector development strategies.
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to new or portfolio clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to specific sector challenges, and to achieve sustainable development impact.
• Disseminate and absorb knowledge and experience from across the regional and global teams in order to support the adoption of new approaches and best practices in the region.
• Prepare documentation in line with IFC’s processes as well as for IFC’s project management and supervision systems.
• Assist in other projects or strategy related activities as the need may arise.
• A master’s degree in either Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Real Estate, or related field.
• Minimum of 6-8 years of full-time relevant professional experience.
• Experience and expertise in the property and in manufacturing sectors.
• Familiarity developing solutions for private sector clients in one or more of the real sector verticals in which IFC invests, preferably: manufacturing, agribusiness, commercial, industrial and residential property, retail and tourism. Exposure to developing, implementing, and financing these types of projects is preferred.
• A successful track record in supporting business development and in focusing effectively on client needs.
• Strong inter-personal and presentation skills and the ability to interact with a range of stakeholders including management of potential clients, financial and technical partners as well as with government officials.
• Experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones and monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
• Strong demonstrated analytical, creative problem solving and critical thinking skills and the ability to anticipate market trends and client needs.
• A demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
• Ability to work independently, seeking guidance on complex issues to ensure effective project delivery and process management as per IFC’s policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing demands while ensuring quality of products.
• Ability to operate in culturally diverse and geographically dispersed teams.
• Appreciation for how policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization can be linked to deliver solutions at a country and a sector level.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation abilities, and interpersonal skills. Fluency in English is required.
• Genuine dedication to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy, and values.
• Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.