The WASH Officer will work with Save the Children (SCI) on the design, implementation, follow up, and evaluation of WASH interventions including infrastructure construction and rehabilitation in communities targeted by Save the Children in Baaquba – Diyala. The post is specifically oriented towards providing WASH and life-saving assistance in the context of humanitarian response needs and special attention will be made to the integration of the WASH sector in other core sectors of Save the Children programming such as child protection and nutrition, food security, health, and education when applicable.
The WASH officer will be responsible for the supervision of the implementation of hygiene promotion activities, environmental health awareness, and cleaning campaigns as outlined in the detailed Implementation plan of the project.
The WASH officer will be working and will lead his/her team to work within the framework of Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches drawn on relevant best practices and lessons learned, working towards enabling children to attain their rights, while compliant with donor regulations.
As part of Save the Children’s dual mandate, the WASH Assistant will participate in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required. In such cases, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH coordinator and later on to the project coordinator
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct: Partner Programme team & WASH Assistant & Livelihoods Assistant
Budget Responsibilities: No
Role Dimensions: Civil Engineering, Construction and Project Management, Public health, Hydraulics, and Sanitation.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• With support from WASH Coordinator and WASH Program Manager, the post holder will support the local partner to carry out WASH and Livelihoods, assessments in coordination with other WASH Officers of the thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
Program design and implementation:
• Work on the design, and drafting of technically sound BoQs and Specifications compliant with international and Iraqi standards.
• Monitoring and evaluation of activities related to the construction of WASH infrastructures in public institutions and communities, such as:
• Oversee all aspects of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community hygiene and sanitation promotion of the project including; development of hygiene and sanitation promotion methodology and guidelines, recruitment and training of community hygiene promoters.
• Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities are implemented in a way appropriate to the context in close collaboration with the team, Cluster guidelines and other sectors to ensure that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are integrated and harmonised.
• Identify and assess the key hygiene and sanitation practices to be addressed and whom to engage and develop an appropriate communications strategy to promote safe practices. Ensure that an empowering approach to working with communities is employed and all activities are carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and promotes the full and equal participation of women, men, children and youth.
• Lead the development of context-relevant and culturally appropriate IEC materials, ensure related capacity building of national staff and its appropriate use on the ground;
• Coordinate well with the Supply Chain and Safety and Security team to plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the distribution of hygiene kits and water treatment kits for health centers, schools and families beneficiaries (if applicable).
• Ensure that gender, protection, local culture, and other important cross-cutting concerns are taken into account in program implementation.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
• In coordination with WASH team and MEAL team, lead the assessment of key public health risks in view of the integrated community project activities;
• In collaboration with WASH, and MEAL and other sectors, develop and ensure proper implementation of context-relevant data collection tools (qualitative and quantitative);
• Implementation of PDM survey (Post Distribution Monitoring) for the NFIs distributed (if any).
• Planning and analysing the KAP survey(s) in collaboration with WASH, and MEAL teams.
• Ensure facilitation and technical support of community groups and volunteers.
• Assess the quality of works completed and incompleted and make recommendations for improvement or modification to the implementing partner ensuring minimum standards of quality in all hygiene promotion and interventions as part of an ongoing monitoring mechanism; this includes ensuring at all times compliance to Sphere standards when designing and implementing activities.
Partnership & capacity building
• If required, support assessment of partner capacities in identified areas, provide recommendation for relevant partnerships and facilitate the process of partnership (this may include the design of MoU, planning of coordination meetings and implementation of reporting mechanism etc.).
• Support the local partner (if any) to work closely with existing Community Health Volunteers and other group to ensure cohesive programming and proper implementation of the hygiene promotion program.
• Liaise directly with communities, local institutions and local authorities on hygiene issues as well as other agencies operational in targeted area regularly to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities
Security and Safety
· Contribute to monitoring of the prevailing security conditions by gathering security-related information and reverting back to Safety and Security team in timely and orderly fashion.
· Assist in ensuring that the necessary measures are in place to ensure security, safety, health, and well-being of Save the Children staff, and other visitors; and that security standards and procedures are strictly adhered to.
· Support partnering efforts and opportunities with the Local Government Units, other government line agencies and structures, NGOs, and other stakeholders through consultation and information sharing.
• Reporting in writing on a weekly basis to the WASH Coordinator and/or project coordinator to share updates on completed activities, beneficiaries reached, Supply chain related updates where necessary, and finally also to outline the plan for the coming period (eg. Week).
• Provide regular reports on community hygiene-related issues and program progress against work plans and project indicators.
Integration, coordination aspects :
• Ensure that construction works are integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation components, to ensure the sustainability of the infrastructure built.
• Coordinate WASH activities with other sectors of Save the Children, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries.
• Coordinate WASH activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
• Ensure the integration of Gender, Child Protection, Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change related issues and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH activities including construction/rehabilitation activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, women, the elderly and disabled.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results and role modelling Save the Children values.
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team (if any), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages their team/colleagues/co-workers to do the same.
• Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, and engages and motivates others.
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members, and external partners and supporters.
• Values diversity, and sees it as a source of competitive/collaborative strength.
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to, and soft-spoken.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness, and transparency; demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.
BSc, Engineering, preferable to be Civil and/or Water Engineering or higher university/postgraduate degree.
Other certificates related to public health and/or communication and training will be preferable.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Professional experience of minimum 4 years, including 2 years in the field of WASH infrastructure construction in a humanitarian or development context. Including a sound knowledge of the local standards related to construction specifications.
· Strong coordination and planning skills, must be detail orientated.
· Good computer skills with Drawings software such AUTOCAD, ArchCAD/EPANET
· Ability to listen and adapt
· Experience in managing a team (both technical and Hygiene promotion), and coordinating with other departments in a professional work environment.
· Iraq nationality
· Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
· Commitment to self-capacity building and able to conduct capacity building for his/her team.
· Excellent communication skills and strong influencing skills.
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Oral and written fluency in Arabic, very good English language skills.
· Experience in Public Health
· Able to work in all locations throughout Diyala.
· Previous experience of project management including planning, budget follow up, and project reporting.
· Good knowledge of the local context and coordination with the line agencies.
· Direct experience in the geographical area of intervention of Save the Children
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Save the Children reserves the right to review the applications on a rolling basis so the position may be filled before the application deadline ends.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
: Fixed Term
: Dec 8, 2022