Position Title: Writer/Editor (Liberia National Only)
Reports to: Communications Lead
Location: Maryland County, Liberia
Position Overview and General Responsibilities:
The writer/editor will help to broaden and deepen support for Partners In Health by celebrating the organization’s unique mission and values, showcasing its pioneering accomplishments, and promoting its valuable brand. The Writer/Editor will create and edit PIH-focused content for use in print and electronic formats, particularly the PIH website, other digital channels, organizational messaging, and development materials. As part of the Marketing & Communications team, the writer/editor will participate in editorial planning and edit content from Marketing & Communications team members and PIH staff.
Global Communications (40%)
In collaboration with the PIH Global Marketing-Communications Team and PIH Liberia Executive Leadership Team:
- Work with the country leadership team and in the Boston office to identify and develop story ideas and turn them into compelling pieces;
- Write and edit interesting and jargon-free articles, profiles, and news stories that inform and engage PIH constituencies;
- In conjunction with the Marketing & Communications team’s production calendars, set, adhere to, and enforce multiple deadlines;
- Schedule and post copy to www.pih.org, including photos and graphics;
- Assist in the development, collection, organization, production, and editing of all content for donor-centric materials, such as the Annual Report, prints, newsletters, Impact reports, etc.
Gather, edit, and package information from PIH staff into content for our website, social media platforms, and other Marketing & Communications and Development materials that are appropriate and appealing to a general audience.
- Create, implement, and refine a country-specific content strategy and plan.
- Pitch, write, and revise copy for the organization’s print and digital channels, including Facebook, Instagram, medium, and pih.org.
- Pitch, create, and revise multimedia pieces, including photo stories and short videos, for the organization’s print and digital channels.
- Pitch, design, and revise infographics, maps, and other design assets.
- Coordinate and facilitate visits and interviews for external communications personnel including journalists, freelancers, and members of the PIH global Marketing-Communications team.
PIH Liberia Strategic Communications (60%)
In collaboration with the PIH Liberia Executive Leadership Team:
- Work as part of the team to manage and maintain all communications materials, including up-to-date photographs, patient information, and success stories;
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
- Review and edit all communications and documents for external audiences, allowing for effective donor stewardship and partner engagement;
- Assist in the creation and editing of visually compelling PowerPoint presentations for internal and external use;
- Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation team to design infographics and maps to highlight data-driven stories
- Proactively propose ways to strengthen internal engagement and manage communication flow effectively across the organization
- Produce other written and visual communications and external engagement projects as requested by management
- Provide oversight and management to communications volunteers and interns as required
- Produce communications content to enable effective donor stewardship and engagement
- Support in the creation of donor reports on active grants as required
Qualifications: The key competencies required for the position of Writer/Editor:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, or related field; Master’s degree preferred with 3 years of relevant experience, preferably with digital content generation, editing and strategy, branding, marketing and communications, storytelling, and/or public relations;
- Proven ability to produce high-quality multi-media content for diverse audiences;
- Excellent photographic abilities, including familiarity with Canon DSLR camera systems;
- Proficiency in English, with superb writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office365 programs, exceptional PowerPoint skills;
- Demonstrated eye for graphic design (proficiency with Creative Cloud applications, including InDesign a plus);
- Collaborative spirit, and openness to work across departments, countries, and cultures;
- Demonstrated experience managing, and meeting, multiple deadlines;
- Willingness to live and work in a rural, resource-limited setting;
- Passion for PIH’s mission and interest in global health equity and social justice;
- Commitment to social justice;
- Able to work occasional off-working hours.;
- Experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team with culturally diverse individuals and communities;
- Ability to work in a complex environment requiring significant collaboration;
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem-solving, and writing skills;
- Effective written and oral communication;
- Training and facilitation skills;
- Demonstrated passion for strengthening the health system in Liberia;
- Interpersonal skills – and the ability to communicate style and content to audiences, active listeners, and provide constructive feedback;
- Team Management- Team player, ability to work in a dynamic team and support others in team building initiatives;
- A commitment to social justice
Commitment to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At Partners in Health, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Partner in Health’s PSEAH policy. Partner in Health will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone, and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states, and municipalities.