Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy (ENB) Global Practice has five key business lines consisting of Lending and non-lending services in
(1) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes (‘Green Business line’);
(2) Marine, Coastal, Aquatic Resources and Ocean Health (‘Blue Economy Business line’);
(3) Pollution Management and Environmental Health (‘Pollution Management Business line’);
(4) Environmental Economics, Policies and Institutions Business line, and
(5) Safeguards/ Environmental Risk Management Business line: delivery of effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development.
This includes provision of high-quality and timely safeguards services across the Bank, including safeguards policies and the effective implementation of the Environment and Social Framework (ESF).
The ENB Global Practice in Sub Saharan Africa includes four units SAWE1, SAEE2, SAEE3 and SAWE4. SAEE3 covers East and Southern Africa and Indian Ocean islands; and manages operations in a variety of areas such as natural resources management, coastal zone management, forestry, pollution, climate change, landscape, and terrestrial and marine natural resources. In addition, the unit, like other ENB GP units provides environmental safeguards and ESF services across all sectors and projects.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Natural Resources Management (NRM) Specialist will be based in Maputo, Mozambique and will be working on Landscapes, Forestry, the ERPA program, and Climate Change. He/She will lead and coordinate the Mozambique Integrated Landscape Management (ILM) Team, with a portfolio that includes integrated lending and non-lending programs led and co-led by ENB with a focus on forestry, sustainable landscape management, rural and community-based development, blue economy, and REDD+. The selected candidate will work under supervision of the Practice Manager for SAEE3 based in the World Bank’s Mozambique Country Office, and will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
General duties and country dialogue:
· Act as ENB coordinator for Mozambique and the focal person for CMU and country clients on Environment and NRM related matters
· Coordinate and mentor multi-disciplinary team of staff and STC to deliver the Mozambique ILM portfolio
· Lead in sector dialogue and business development relative to Landscape and Forest Management, NRM, Blue Economy, Biodiversity, and Climate
· Maintain and strengthen effective relationships with Government counterparts
· Build relationships and facilitate effective communication with other development partners, NGOs, the private sector, and other stakeholders
· Participate in cross sectoral dialogue and promote ENB agenda in multi-sectoral approaches
· Promote, plan and/ or coordinate knowledge sharing and training activities
· Lead preparation and implementation of complex and multi-sectoral operations, including IPFs, MPAs, PforR, with a focus on generation/protection of Global Public Goods (with a primary focus on landscapes/forestry/biodiversity/ecosystem services/REDD+/rural development/ community driven development/climate change/ blue economy) and involve a diverse range of stakeholders and departments
· Co-lead or be a technical team member on operations led by other GPs/ PGs pertaining to integrated land management approaches, green growth, blue growth, food security
· Conduct timely project preparation, supervision (including implementation support missions), and reporting; catalyze project disbursement; and provide technical and operational leadership on ENB related topics and activities
· Mobilize grant and donor financing for operations, technical assistance, or analytical tasks
· Prepare, implement, and lead trust-fund operations in support of ILM portfolio
· Support an activity knowledge management and dissemination of ILM approaches and results in country and to the broader NRM community
Contribute to preparation of core analytical products (SCD, CPF, CEM, etc.)Attach the TOR below OR you may insert the job description here. To paste from Word use the “Paste from Word” icon above.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.