Associate Investment Officer
Job #: req17678
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Turkish, Russian, Arabic
Closing Date: 6/7/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity. This strategy calls for generating unique opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. This strategy also calls for working with Governments and World Bank colleagues to first seek private sector solutions to address development challenges – where such solutions are advisable and can be effective – and reserve public financing for projects only when other options are suboptimal. This approach is called the “Cascade”.
IFC’s Infrastructure Department is looking to hire an Associate Investment Officer to join IFC’s infrastructure investment team covering primarily the MCT Region (Middle East, Central Asia, Turkey, Afghanistan, and Pakistan). The selected candidate will be based in Karachi, Pakistan and will be an integral part of the investment team working across the business cycle (business development, “upstream”, new investments, and portfolio), but with a focus on leading and/or supporting business development, processing and managing IFC’s investments throughout the life of IFC’s investments.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The role and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to:
• Lead and/or coordinate mapping and screening business opportunities in infrastructure sectors; undertaking market research and performing corresponding integrity checks.
• Collaborate in developing client strategies and engagement plans and pitchbooks for various sectors and countries, and conduct sector analysis to be used as input to sector strategies.
• Support the development of a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge.
• Draft and present concept review notes for discussion with management of relevant business opportunities.
• Support transaction teams during investment due diligence. Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions from the mandate stage.
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, legal and technical specialists in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
• Support negotiation/documentation stages of transactions; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions.
• Actively manage and/or support portfolio investments, including potentially restructurings, rescheduling, processing waivers, disbursements, capital increases, equity sales etc.
• Support teams managing relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
• Gather market intelligence, analyze strategically important portfolio trends, and emerging risks and opportunities.
• Perform credit and risk assessments, financial projections, covenant compliance reviews (debt), and monitor changes to risk flags for determining performance assigned to a portfolio, with limited supervision. Supervise and ensure quality of portfolio reporting information prepared by junior staff, providing broader industry, subsector, and country perspective into project risks and issues.
• Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field.
• At least five years of relevant experience in infrastructure project investment and financing activities with a proven track-record in areas of sourcing, structuring and closing investments and/or supervising loan and equity exposures including working on restructurings, modifications and negotiated exits.
• Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments including project finance, corporate debt, and equity as a plus.
• Demonstrated knowledge of infrastructure sectors, such as power, transportation, utilities, natural resources, telecoms, technology; industry trends and opportunities in the sub-region countries, and understanding of local issues;
• Prior experience in IFC/World Bank operational countries in the MCT Region (Middle-East, Central Asia, Turkey, Afghanistan and Pakistan) is a plus.
• Ability to interact directly with potential clients, and financial and technical partners;
• Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.
• Excellent people skills, openness to feedback, new ideas, and ability to guide, and motivate others.
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required; fluency in other languages such as Turkish, Russian, or Arabic is a plus.