Result of Service
Carry out the aforementioned activities.Work Location
11 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
THE ORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
This consultancy is in Environment (ENV) within the Air Transport Bureau (ATB) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). ICAO’s activities in the environment field aim to limit or reduce the impact of international aviation on noise, local air quality, and the global climate. ENV is responsible for the development of a range of standards, policies and guidance material and provides capacity building and assistance for the implementation of mitigation measures to achieve these objectives. Measures include aircraft technology, operational improvements, the development and deployment of sustainable aviation fuels, and the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA). In addition, ENV maintains close relations with other UN policy-making bodies that have expressed an interest in environmental aspects of civil aviation.
ICAO has an initiative with the European Union (EU) on Capacity building for CO2 mitigation from international aviation. The overarching objective is to contribute to international, regional and national efforts to address growing emissions from international aviation and assist with capacity building in relation to Action Plans. The ICAO-EU Assistance Project is a programme to support ten (10) selected Member States in Africa, in the following areas of activity: i) Improved national capacity of the beneficiary States to develop/update and implement an Action Plan on CO2 emissions reduction from international aviation in accordance with ICAO recommendations; ii) State Action Plans on emissions reduction are developed by the beneficiary States; and iii) Mitigation measures selected by the beneficiary States are assessed and their feasibility is evaluated.
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the ICAO Deputy Director, Environment. She/he is expected to conduct his/her work in close coordination with the ICAO ENV Officers and the project team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Programme Coordinator Consultant is expected to function in close coordination with the Technical Project Consultant, with relevant project personnel and national authorities, in different locations, to carry out the following activities:
• Assists in drawing up the detailed work plan and the resource elements essential to meet the deliverables and strategic outcomes as defined in the Project document.
• Works with the Officers from the ATB/ENV to budget funding in the various projects in the different areas associated with the programme and in securing approval from ICAO and EU.
• Monitors progress and provides reports of the project status at different pre-defined milestones so that the project can be implemented within the approved/modified timeframes.
• Provides liaison between ATB/ENV and the States’ Focal Points (selected States and/or Regional groups).
• Consults and liaises with local partners and other key stakeholders in planning the fieldwork for the project; participates in the rollout activities and coordinates interim activities undertaken in parallel with the assessment process.
• Coordinates with Civil Aviation Authorities’ (CAA’s) and other relevant stakeholders to ensure that document flow relating to agreed accounting and other records from the project Stations are submitted to ICAO- Headquarters (HQ) without delays.
• Produces monthly briefs and updates; providing inputs for preparation of the evaluation reports and other common analytical documents to meet the fiduciary standards of the European Union.
• Drafts and keeps updated a State programme document in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, to keep track of activities in the States and use the process to promote synergies, avoid duplication, and ensures a coordinated delivery of the Project in the line States.
• Oversees the maintenance of internal and external records, in both hard and electronic format, for accountability of ICAO ATB/ENV records in compliance with UN Financial Regulations and Rules as well as the European Union requirements;
• Manages the implementation of activities and ensures that all information related to the project is available for Audit reporting, post closure of the project.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Advanced university degree (Maters degree or equivalent) in business administration, law, finance or economics, aviation and/or environment with knowledge of socio-economic aspects of sustainable development is required. A first level university degree in the above-mentioned disciplines in combination with three additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of 7 years of relevant and progressive experience in international sustainable development projects, with at least 3 years working with governments and/or developing State field environments;
• Proven experience of coordinating in different phases of project management including development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of programme activities;
• Proven experience in implementation of projects under EU and ICAO rules and procedures;
• Interpersonal skills that create openness and trust among colleagues. Excellent coordination skills, with ability to work under pressure and handle multiple activities and projects concurrently;
• Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in a team based information sharing environment;
• Spoken and written communications that are compelling, convincing and reassuring, and can articulate complex technical ideas to non-technical stakeholders;
• Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines;
• Ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
• Knowledge of fiduciary standards;
• Interpersonal skills that create openness and trust among colleagues;
• Excellent coordination skills, with ability to work under pressure and handle multiple activities within the project scope concurrently;
• A minimum of 3 years of relevant and progressive experience in Africa;
• Experience on clean energy and in particular sustainable aviation fuels;
• Experience in the Aviation Industry would be an added asset.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English. A working knowledge of French.
• A working knowledge of another language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
It should be noted that this consultancy is to be filled on a short-term basis (for an 11 month period).
Please note that the monthly rate for Band C varies from CAD $7,562 and CAD $10,910.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.