The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, the direct supervision of the Emergency Programme Coordination Consultant and the Animal Health Officer.
The Emergency Animal Health Senior Support will be responsible for providing crucial program support in the implementation of livestock emergency activities in Somalia.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Support Livestock Emergency Programming:
• Support in the identification of suitable livestock emergency technical options to protect and reduce livestock asset losses and advise on specific actions in accordance with Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS).
• Participate in the development of project proposals, monitoring and evaluation of livestock animal health and emergency projects in Somalia.
• Support the documentation and implementation of best practices and lessons learnt in implementing livestock emergency activities.
• Support the timely implementation of water trucking activity and input distribution.
Facilitate the Procurement Process of Inputs and Service Providers for Implementation of Livestock Emergency Activities:
• Identify in agreement with Livestock Emergency Officer the procurement needs of the livestock emergency projects.
• Support in the preparation of technical specifications livestock emergency inputs; and services as per the FAO guidelines (FAO MS 502), prepare procurement requisition.
• Participate in the technical evaluation in the procurement process and follow up on timely delivery of livestock inputs.
• Keep track of procurement process of livestock emergency inputs i.e., purchase orders and deliveries against work plan.
• Track delivery and implementation challenges or constraints and reporting them in a timely manner and ensure timely and effective corrective action.
Project Reporting and Briefs
• Support in the reviewing reports of implementation reports on quality and consistency and provide feedback to the livestock emergency officer on the progress of projects implementation.
• Receive and review progress and interim reports for the water trucking activity.
• Support in the reception and management of inception files, liaising with IPs and relevant colleagues from Information Management Unit (IMU), Finance Unit, other as applicable.
Participate in the Planning and Implementation of Livestock Input Distribution Activity in the Emergency Program
• Support in the process of input procurement for livestock activities.
• Support in the preparation of terms of reference for the livestock activities in preparation for IPs selection.
• Participate in the review of the reports on Livestock activities submitted by the partners against the LOA targets and liaise with them to ensure proper utilization of project funds and initiate beneficiary and IP payments based on the Cash Livestock activities undertaken in the field.
• Represent the Livestock Emergency Officer in meetings where necessary.
Capacity Building/Training of Ips and Key Stakeholders
• Support in the compilation of training guides, manuals and posters preparation, lessons learnt and best practice documentation under the livestock input distribution activity.
• Support in conducting capacity building trainings to implementing partners on FAO Voucher Scheme and/or good input distribution modality practice, learn from challenges and recommend improvements.
• Support in ensuring that nutrition is mainstreamed in livestock input distribution activities in coordination with nutrition specialist.
• Support in ensuring that the improved animal husbandry practices (IAHP) are embedded in the trainings by the implementing partners.
• Support in training of the implementing partners on beneficiary registration through ODK/KOBO.
• Perform any other duty and activity upon instructions of the, Emergency Programme Coordination Consultant or the Officer in Charge for Somalia.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in one of the following fields: veterinary medicine, animal health or animal production or other relevant discipline.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience in livestock related emergency and development interventions.
• Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
• Nationality of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience in implementation of livestock projects
• Experience in communicating effectively within the sector and all the other key partners for effective and smooth running of livestock-based programme activities