IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Private sector financial development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient financial markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth. IFC’s goal is to prioritize investment in the financial sector because it promotes development in all other sectors.
The Financial Institution Group (FIG) is one of IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability, and development reach, approximately 40%. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. FIG has three main objectives: 1) financial inclusion 2)servicing the real economy and 3) mobilizing third-party resources. FIG’s Europe team is based across the region with main hubs and offices in Vienna, Bucharest, and Belgrade. The team members work on both new business development and portfolio management across the region. With a diverse network of markets, the pipeline of new transactions ranges from investing fresh equity in banks to structured finance products which help develop local capital markets.
FIG Europe Regional Industry Team is seeking Investment Analysts (IA) with good local market and industry experience to help grow and develop its business across the Europe Region. Investment Analyst position can be based in one of the following offices Vienna or Warsaw.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Monitor and analyze operational and financial performance as well as credit and integrity risks of existing and potential clients/ projects;
• Build financial models, provide support and perform financial analysis for the projects, under limited supervision;
• Provide support in assessing and articulating development impact and IFC’s role/ additionality in straight forward transactions;
• Keep abreast of industry and country developments in the projects under supervision and identifying and analyzing fundamental competitive strengths and weaknesses of these projects in order to anticipate near- and long-term performance and raise issues;
• Participate as a member of a team in negotiations with clients for financial rescheduling, restructurings and investment covenant changes;
• Participate in project appraisals for new investments at all stages (from origination to commitment/ disbursement) as a member of a team, creating financial models and analysis;
• Monitor client compliance as per their legal agreement with IFC, perform covenant compliance reviews, and monitor changes to risk flags and propose courses of action in the event of non-compliance;
• Prepare disbursement requests for submission to the credit officer and director, including making recommendations on proposed waivers;
• Prepare annual project supervision reports and regular credit risk ratings and other management reports, making well-substantiated loss reserve recommendations;
• Draw conclusions from financial analyses to design/ recommend suitable financial structures in the restructuring of problem projects;
• Efficiently coordinate with internal stakeholders (Legal, Environment &Social, sector specialists and Economists).
• Bachelor’s (or equivalent) university degree, specialization in finance preferred
• Experience at a financial institution for a minimum of 2-3 years in the field of financial investment, portfolio management, auditing, corporate finance, and economics
• Expertise in project analysis; sound knowledge of accounting and financial statement analysis; knowledge/understanding of credit institutions financials would be a plus
• Extensive financial modeling skills and ability to create detailed financial models for project finance, corporate debt, equity and hybrid investments
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and sound business judgment to identify issues and present creative and practical solutions
• Excellent financial analytic capabilities, understanding of credit risk and loan/investment documentation
• Ability to conduct market and industry research and analysis
• Ability to discern critical issues, prepare concise, insightful analyses, and propose solutions to problems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, able to write in a logical and comprehensive, yet concise manner.
• Ability to utilize graphics and tables to effectively and creatively present data
• Ability to work on a large number of investments at once while keeping up to date on their issues
• Team player; self-starter/ proactive approach
• Strong client orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
• Genuine interest in sustainable development and working in emerging markets
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.