IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms.
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of three major industry groups at IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC’s overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk. IFC is seeking an Investment Officer for the Upstream and Advisory Services department within FIG, with deep investment expertise in the Financial Sector, including Banking, Microfinance, Housing Finance, Trade Finance and/or Insurance. Experience or expertise in the Capital Markets industry/sector is highly desirable.
The selected candidate will be based in Vietnam/Jakarta and will focus on supporting the development of high-quality Upstream pipeline in the East Asia and Pacific region. S/he will also support policy work and other interventions across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Work with the WBG to analyze sector and regulatory reforms that are needed to unlock opportunities for private investment.
• Support the identification and assessment of Upstream opportunities, including analysis of sectors, market creation potential, and regulatory reforms.
• Contribute in the identification and discussion with potential partners, and relevant initiatives that could support investment opportunities
• Keep abreast of regulatory developments and business trends.
• Collect and analyze client and market data and contribute to design of solutions that will create markets, reform sectors, and improve firm performance.
• Contribute to sector-specific data analysis and stress testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products, and platform businesses.
• Contribute to development of feasibility studies and implementation plans for Upstream projects.
• Assist in designing and implementing scalable solutions and platforms.
• Coordinate and convene other WBG functions and teams needed to successfully unlock investment opportunity and market creation, including policy work and other interventions across the WBG.
• Support and/or lead the design, development, and implementation of high-quality Upstream initiatives and interventions.
• Coordinate efforts and develop initiatives to disseminate and exchange knowledge with internal and external parties, and review lessons learned to help improve current projects or processes.
• Develop project documents (CN, IP, PSR, PCR) and collect and validate feedback from peers including industry, sector, product, and ES&G specialists as well as legal, M&E, and finance staff.
• Draft client deliverables that include analysis, training materials including knowledge events organization,, best practice guides, standards, and papers or presentations containing recommendations to improve client performance.
• Manage straightforward projects to ensure outcomes are achieved within set timeframes and budgets.
• Draft proposals to donor partners to raise necessary funding and prepare and validate content of progress reports.
• Draft legal agreements using available templates.
• Ensure proper recording of legal documents in systems and archiving with Legal Department.
• Draft the TORs.
• Create and facilitate the selection process in the eConsultant system and Admin Portal.
• Liaise with finance and procurement teams on issuing and managing consultant contracts.
• Expand and cultivate relationships with WBG counterparts to facilitate access to relevant information and reports.
• Help spot technologies and business model trends relevant to emerging markets.
• Provide quality control research and analysis for market and opportunity creation, including market mapping, comparator analysis, barrier analysis, and sector and company financial projections and models.
• Review historical and projected financial statements of companies within the sector for potential, associated transactions to be enabled as needed.
• Lead straightforward engagements with clients, including client meetings
• Liaise and interact effectively an extensive internal and external network to obtain information and drive processes and projects forward.
• Prepare draft project budgets.
• Liaise with the finance team on entering and modifying project budgets in the system.
• Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream portfolio, including monitoring progress against project milestones and key performance indicators (KPIs).
• Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders, including government bodies and potential clients, to enable IFC activities.
• Master’s degree in a related field and at least 4–8 years of relevant experience. Related fields of education include business, finance, or economics or an area of expertise specific to a sector, subject matter, or industry specialty. Relevant experience could include a proven track record in business consulting or investment banking, or operational experience in the sector or technical or professional field.
• Has a reputation for being able to connect the dots across business strategies and portfolio management lessons learned to generate innovative ideas, products, or solutions that can be replicated in other locations. Astute in anticipating where future opportunities and innovation will emerge in markets and sectors, and able to leverage expertise and reputation to connect IFC with those opportunities to grow business and open new markets.
• Excellent negotiation and structuring skills demonstrated by proven track record. Can recognize when negotiations no longer serve IFC’s interests and has the conviction to take appropriate actions to protect IFC, which could include walking away from a deal or taking different positions on corporate actions.
• Able to influence others based on the understanding of the implications of investment decisions for IFC’s business.
• Demonstrates active listening skills by paying full attention and asking questions to clarify client and stakeholder needs and gather required information.
• Ability to interact effectively with clients and stakeholders by acting professionally, responding to their requests and inquiries, delivering what is promised, and meeting deadlines.
• Capacity to build productive and mutually beneficial relationships and networks internally and externally to identify business opportunities and resolve issues.
• Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills to effectively influence the perception and support of clients and stakeholders.
• Ability to draft documents and reports that are concise, well-organized, and appropriately focused on the most critical points that are relevant to the target audience.
• Utilize charts, graphs, and other presentation techniques to communicate complex data and concepts simply.
• Able to share valid opinions and new observations relevant to project outcomes with project leaders in a manner that is concise, cohesive and focused.
• Ability to tailor explanations of IFC’s value proposition to specific clients and share relevant information on industry practices.
• Understand and be able to apply basic project management concepts, standard tools, methodologies, and processes to ensure assigned projects achieve objectives within deadlines and budgets.
• Fundamental knowledge of related industry and sector, including best practices, gained through practical work experience in the private sector.
• Fundamental knowledge of IFC systems and investment operations and work of World Bank. Knowledge of IFC ES&G standards and how they relate to client engagement.
• Strong conceptual and solution design skills and the capacity to validate and stress test potential solutions against industry best practices.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to review inputs from others including consultants and determine how to best package the information for client.
• Successful operational experience in thematic area in public or private sector organization.
• General understanding of sector and industry.
• General understanding of IFC operations and investment and advisory products and services. Knows where to find information. Beginning to learn about WBG instruments and programs.
• Oversee or supervise assigned staff and consultants.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.