Project Coordinator (WASH) – (220008NW)
TITLE: Project Coordinator
TEAM/PROGRAMME: WASH Programme
LOCATION: Magway Township, Magway Region.
Number of Position: 1
GRADE: NAT- 3
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed Term
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the vetting process staff.
Ensure that Save the Children Fund emergency WASH strategy and programming complement and support the provision of lifesaving humanitarian assistance to children and their families affected by conflict in Magway region, Myanmar emergency programme strategy, objectives and policies and that these are successfully implemented through existing partners, resulting in children enjoying improved access to their rights.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Program Manager (MHF)
Direct Reports: N/A
Technical report: 2 partners organization in field.
If this role is a budget holder, approximately, how much budget is the role managing: Indicate approximate amount or range of budget
- Budget Allocation on General Funds up to 10,000 USD
- Regular contact of detailed explanations of policy, regulations, programs, services and representation of SCI at the local level or with mid-level counterparts
- Interpersonal contact regular and varied, involved negotiation, influencing kills, and representation at District / Provincial level and donor / press visits
- Interpersonal contact regular and varied in both oral and written. Negotiation and representation with senior level representatives including government level decision makers, donors, wider SC community
- Minimum (up to 7 days per month)
- Coordinate the planning, technical assistance, training and implementation of all emergency WASH programming and operations in assigned regions/areas, supported by the WASH specialist, HoP and program Manager (based in field office).
- Ensure coherence with Save the Children’s national emergency programme approach for Myanmar, linking to country strategic plan (CSP), organisation’s global strategy and contributing to advocacy priorities.
- Promote quality programming and adherence to minimum standards, including the Save the Children & NGO Code of Conduct, Save the Children core values, SPHERE standards, and incorporation of cross-cutting areas and approaches such as child rights, PSEA, gender, disaster risk reduction, protection, etc.
- Coordinate with Program Managers, Support staff, Supply Chin Coordinator and Finance Coordinator to ensure that appropriate controls, systems and procedures are in place in order to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Provide leadership and guidance to all emergency WASH field staff and partner staff in order to achieve the quality WASH response in targeted locations.
- Assist development of WASH learning and development plans and facilitate WASH learning and development activities through appropriate training events, in coordination with the Program Managers and WASH technical team.
- Contribute to developing WASH strategic plans with participation of WASH field staff/ partner staff/communities and assist development of affected areas.
- Support on preparation and application of capacity strengthening plans with all relative MHF Program’s partners, under the supervision of the PM who ensures compliance across functions and sectors.
- Ensure that all funded projects and programming are completed on time and within approved budgets in coordination with Program Manager, Finance staff and partners.
- Assist PM and partner organisations to ensure effective WASH budget management through close planning and monitoring on financial information.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in accordance with SCI standards and donor requirements.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Ensure that all monitoring checklists and Quality Benchmarks are applied to WASH activities by partner organizations.
- Ensure ongoing monitoring and evaluation of all emergency WASH activities to determine the extent to which they are meeting objectives/outputs and to undertake modification /action needed to improve achievements.
- Close coordination with MEAL Officer in order to monitor quality data and develop M&E system.
- In collaboration with WASH technical team and partner staff, produce a concise Monthly report that details activities and technical/quality assurance issues within assigned region/area. Produce internal situation reports on WASH progress, and reports to donors.
- Work with Programme Manager and partner staff to ensure regular and consistent communications between area offices, partners and Yangon occur.
- Assist Program Manager to ensure staff and partner staff security/safety management policies and practices are understood, adopted and implemented.
- Assist in the development of security procedures and protocols for the WASH technical team in coordination with Head Quarter security staff and ensure that they are understood by all staff and strictly adhered to at all time.
External Representation and Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the WASH external context in the affected areas – political, social, economic and humanitarian – providing regular updates and analysis to the WASH technical team and WASH partner staff as appropriate.
- Support WASH technical team and Program Manger to liaise with key stakeholders and provide support to partners to ensure smooth implementation of program activities according to Save the Children’s best practice approaches and standards.
- Participate in regional/ interagency coordination meetings and forum.
- Assist in other relevant duties as required by the field Programme Manager.
- Responsibility to create and promote an environment where the Child Safeguarding Policy is effectively implemented.
- Understand and fulfill their specific and additional responsibilities in achieving compliance of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy standards.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Always acts in the best interests of children
Skills and Experience:
- At least 3 years experience in related field
- Experience of managing the programme cycle, including assessments, project design, proposal and report writing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience supervising and evaluating program support and technical staff with the ability to lead and motivate others.
- Experience of partnership management and capacity building to partner staff.
- Experience in working in an insecure and politically sensitive environment.
- Experience of developing and implementing security plans and of managing risk
- Previous emergency WASH experience preferable.
- Previous working experience with an INGO, LNGO and UN agency is an advantage.
- University Degree or equivalent education, Diploma/Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or Public Health or relevant qualification
Communication and Technical Skills
- Strong English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environment according to travel requirements
- Excellent communication skills, diplomacy and experience in building relationships, fostering interagency coordination and representing an organisation to external parties at a regional level.
- Excellent Relevant Significant people management skills/experience and proven ability to create an environment which encourages team-working and motivates a team across various geographical areas.
- Partnership management
- Demonstrate experience in resource and financial management.
- At least 2 years of management experience
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for children
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values, principles and policies.
- Flexibility in adapting to a changing environment
- Proactive with ability to take leadership initiative and at responsibly without direction as circumstance require.
- Willingness and capability to comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including the Child Safeguarding Policy
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
: Fixed Term
: Dec 7, 2022