IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC is seeking a Senior Investment Officer for its Infrastructure and Natural Resources (INR) upstream team in the Asia Pacific region. The position is based in Jakarta/ Manila.
While IFC continues to expand its traditional roles of advisory services and investment operations, IFC embarked on an ambitious growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity. This strategy calls for generating opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” (i.e., prior to and/ or in anticipation of a project or investment), to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design, unblock and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to identifying investment opportunities (at project and program level) and supporting development and investment of those opportunities with the private sector, as well as identifying and managing regulatory and policy bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into markets and opportunities, through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level.
The Infrastructure and Natural Resources (INR) business line provides financing solutions to clients focused on the power, transport, telecoms and municipal and environmental infrastructure sectors. A strategic focus for the INR team in Asia Pacific is to support clients (both public at the subnational level and private sector clients) to find decarbonization solutions in these sectors and to ramp up investments in urban infrastructure, transport and telecoms. IFC is seeking a Senior Investment Officer for its INR upstream and advisory team, with expertise in one or more of urban infrastructure, municipal finance, transport and telecoms sectors. The selected candidate will focus on developing a high-quality Upstream & Advisory pipeline of infrastructure projects, under the supervision of the Regional Upstream and Advisory Manager. S/he will also support policy work and other interventions across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts in urban infrastructure and transport. The selected candidate would focus on growing the business in East Asia and Pacific, but will also get the opportunity to work more broadly across Asia Pacific.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Support the regional upstream and advisory manager to develop a strategy and pipeline for East Asia and Pacific in urban infrastructure and transport, in coordination with upstream and advisory team members and the INR upstream and advisory manager.
• Source projects and initiatives that can lead to a pipeline of bankable projects by engaging with the private sector and senior officials in governments, sub-national governments, WBG and other development organizations, and by uncovering needs through strategic analysis, including IFC country strategies and WBG strategies.
• Coordinate with investment and upstream and advisory staff, and external partners to projects and initiatives to originate initiatives and projects that can lead to a pipeline of bankable investments and programs.
• Collaborate with private sector partners to implement upstream and advisory projects and programs.
• Oversee monitoring and evaluation of projects, ensuring results are properly tracked and supporting materials properly filed.
• Support the regional upstream and advisory manager in the development of a fundraising strategy and donor outreach.
• Take an active role in knowledge management, coordinating with global and regional teams, including preparation of specific knowledge products, pitch books and proposals for both advisory and investment clients and case studies.
• Speak and represent IFC at external events.
• Active team player, mentor to junior staff.
• Master’s degree in a related field and at least 12-15 years of relevant experience, with at least 7 years of experience in developing and/ or financing projects and operations in one or more of the urban infrastructure and transport sectors. Related fields of education include business, finance, or economics or an area of expertise specific to a sector, subject matter, or industry specialty. Relevant experience could include a proven track record in business consulting or investment banking, or developer or operational experience in the sector or technical or professional field developing infrastructure projects.
• Has a reputation for listening carefully to clients and stakeholders and asking targeted questions to understand their needs and determine the viability of a business opportunity.
• Ability to build long-term engagement with clients and credibility by demonstrating knowledge of their business, sector, and culture; maintain an ongoing dialogue on their business needs, operations, and strategies as well as opportunities for strategically aligned business deals.
• Ability to maintain client engagement during portfolio stage to identify growth opportunities, address emerging problems, and focus on actions that promote sustainability and ensure that overall development impact objectives are met.
• IFC/WBG: Ability to interact effectively with working level WBG staff and participate in collaborative interventions or /projects that enable private sector investment by exercising sensitivity to differences in corporate cultures, priorities, and operating practices and /requirements.
• Public Sector: Ability to participate and constructively contribute in meetings with mid-level government officials on constraints to private sector investment in their countries and opportunities for private sector participation, public private partnerships and asset monetization.
• Ability to develop a client engagement plan and implement it by maintaining ongoing relationships with senior-level clients, developing a deep knowledge of their business and priorities, anticipating their unexpressed needs, and helping them look beyond markets where they are currently active.
• IFC/WBG: Ability to learn from and exercise influence in working level relationships across WBG to: (i) develop a deeper understanding of how they work and their priorities and interests, (ii) advocate for IFC’s priorities, and (iii) identify opportunities to work together to open new markets for private sector investment.
• Public Sector: Ability to understand the political context and mindset of government officials to connect their interests with what it would take to create a business climate and incentives for private sector investment in their countries.
• Networks: Possesses an extensive internal and external network with key players in the sector, country, region, or specialization (e.g., legal, credit industry specialists), and an ability to leverage those networks to maintain expertise, identify and capitalize on business opportunities, bring deals to closure, and obtain approvals.
• Preference for experience in working on projects in at least one developing country.
• Fluency in English, both verbal and written skills.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.