Associate Investment Officer
Job #: req17721
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Johannesburg,South Africa
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 6/3/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused exclusively on the private sector. It helps developing countries achieve sustainable growth by financing investment, mobilizing capital in international financial markets, and providing advisory services to businesses and governments.
IFC’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Transaction Advisory Services (CTAPP) provides sell side financial advisory services and acts as Lead Transaction Advisor to governments to structure and implement PPP and privatization transactions, primarily for provision of public services. Its aim is to increase access to basic infrastructure (electricity, water, transportation, and telecommunications) and social services (health and education) as well as facilitate private investments.
The department is looking to recruit an Associate Investment Officer (AIO) for its Southern Africa team who will support the regional team and management with the whole PPP transaction process of IFC acting as Lead Transaction Advisor.
The team focuses on advising on the following types of transactions across all infrastructure sectors with a particular focus on energy and transport:
• Public-Private Partnerships e.g., BOT type concessions;
• Management and lease contracts; and
• Restructuring and privatization of state-owned enterprises.
The position is based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and reports to the Regional Manager for PPP Transaction Advisory Services in Africa.
The AIO’s work will involve supporting the implementation of advisory mandates of a variety of types, including business development, interactions with clients, developing terms of reference, procurement and supervision of consultants, preparation of presentations and reports, financial modeling and due diligence, transaction structuring, drafting bidding documents and managing bidding processes, interacting with investors. Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
• Contribute to origination and marketing activities including preparation of pitch books and proposals;
• Prepare memos and documentation for internal approval and consultant procurement processes, as well as managing project budget;
• Perform financial analysis and modeling;
• Assist in due diligence management, preparation of due diligence and transaction structuring reports, and review of legal, commercial, and technical outputs and documentation;
• Assist in preparation of information memorandums, pre-qualification and tender documentation;
• Assist in marketing to potential investors, conducting international competitive tenders and commercial/financial closure;
• Assist in coordinating closely with other parts of IFC including environmental and social, legal, other advisory and investment departments as well as World Bank colleagues in order to provide comprehensive and bespoke solutions to clients that will achieve sustainable development impact;
• Execute projects from mandate signature, through due diligence, prequalification, tendering and award, to the finalization and execution of all project agreements leading to financial close;
• Develop, coach, motivate and manage junior members of the team;
• Participate in meetings with government clients and investors; and
• Assist in other project or strategy related activities as the need may arise (research, reporting, etc.).
• MBA or equivalent Post Graduate degree in business, finance or economics
• Solid and relevant experience of at least 6 years gained either in project finance, corporate finance, M&A and privatizations, or private equity funds in infrastructure;
• Knowledge of overall industry sector trends and experience in infrastructure transactions/PPPs preferably in Africa, with a proven track record;
• Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively;
• Strong track record of contractual and/or financial closings of infrastructure transactions;
• Experience in dealing with government clients, investors and multiple stakeholders of infrastructure projects;
• Ability to manage teams in multiple transactions, delivering high quality work within deadlines, and to meet team objectives;
• Strong financial modeling skills
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills and ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently;
• Good presentation skills both written and oral;
• Willingness and ability to travel on short notice and frequently, as required; and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is essential.