WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
All applications should be received no later than 23 March 2023
Contract Type: Service Contract – SC5
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Aleppo
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
Humanitarian partners across the Syrian Arab Republic benefit from augmented logistics and emergency telecommunications capacity and air services, enabling them to provide humanitarian assistance throughout the crisis.
Handle the air operations of UNHAS flights on the ground. Perform a range of coordination and administrative activities that contribute to the safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
The incumbent will work in the air operations unit. He works under close guidance and follows established standard air operations procedures.
1. Perform operational coordination and administration of air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations.
2. Liaise with airport officials and other local authorities in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
3. Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight, in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights, escalating issues to a supervisor.
4. Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place and in compliance with established conditions.
5. Research, collate and report on aviation related information, to enable decision-making and facilitate air transportation planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
6. Update and maintain relevant databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised, accessible to others, and supports reporting requirements.
7. Respond to client queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
8. Liaise with internal counterparts in order to carry out duties successfully, support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes, to facilitate a coherent approach to air operations.
9. Provide support to other staff, assisting them in completing tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
10. Support process reviews, and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air activities and related operations.
11. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Post-secondary certificate in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic languages.
At least 5 years’ experience in aviation industry.
Experience working in the following areas is desirable:
• Booking and ticketing;
• Flight planning operations;
• handling passenger manifests, passenger and cargo;
• interpreting routine weather reports;
• Experience in basic flight following.
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.