Assignment Title: Compliance, Risk Management and Ethics Officer – SSA
Grade: UN National Officer Category (NO-B Grade Step 01)
Contract Type: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Duty Station: WHO Country Office, Uganda
Duration of Contract: 6 months (Renewal of the contract will depend on availability of funds)
The WHO Country Office, Uganda would like to recruit a national Expert for Compliance and Risk Management. The Compliance, Risk Management and Ethics Officer will work under direct supervision and guidance of the Compliance Officer (CO) in close collaboration with the Program Management Officer (PMO), Operational Officer (OO) and other technical and administrative staff. The incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Perform regular checks on documentation submitted for payments to ensure completeness and Value for money.
- Perform random checks on all funded activities both Direct Financial Contribution (DFC) and Direct Implementation (DI) to ensure the conformity of expenditure incurred in line with the proposal and where necessary propose actions to ensure implementation as per financial and administrative regulations.
- Undertake the necessary checks on the documents provided as evidence for Direct Financial Cooperation (DFC) and Direct Implementation (DI) expenditures submitted and ensure compliance, completeness as well as the quality of the activities conducted, including spot checks and ensure such is fully documented.
- Perform random checks on the timely documentation of technical and financial reports of Direct Implementation Mechanism (DI).
- Support the development of the country office’s Risks Register taking into account the inputs from the Internal Control Self- Assessment Checklist in identifying risks relating to the Ebola Response.
- Ensure the risk register is regularly updated by adding on new risks and close all risks whose mitigation actions have completed.
- Ensure mitigation actions are well documented, communicated, resourced, implemented and achievements reported. (if possible, mitigation actions/tasks are incorporated in the workplans).
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the WHO Representative.
B. Knowledge and functional skills
- Good knowledge of accounting and audit rules, procedures and policies
- Good Editorial capacity/good presentation
- Discretion and integrity are Major strengths
- Good knowledge of accounting and audit rules, procedures and policies of the United Nations and/or WHO will be an asset
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way.
- Fostering Integration and teamwork.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Setting an example.
D. Education and Professional Training
Essential: Recognized Professional Certificate in accounting, compliance and/or audit or equivalent e.g CPA, ACCA, CIMA
Essential: Minimum progressive professional experience of 2 years in the relevant fields
Desirable: Audit, experience in respect of procedures is considered an advantage. Experience in working with WHO or any other United Nations agency
E. Other Skills (e.g IT)
Competent in use of computer applications, including spreadsheets, MS Word, PowerPoint, EPIINFO, and statistical analysis and mapping software.
F. Languages required
Proficiency in written and spoken English;
N.B. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.