- Purpose of the consultancy
These consultants are being recruited to produce recommendations for policy and action on pressing public health problems/questions to divisions and units of the Western Pacific Regional Office and the Region’s country offices, by using and promoting the hypothesis-driven approach and other new ways of working.
The public health landscape is complex and dynamic—while more information has become available with the internet (e.g., journal articles, blogs, social media), data is still lacking in many instances. Member States have a shorter timeframe for decisions (especially in emergencies) and simultaneously require solutions that are timely, but also tailored, contextualized. By adopting problem-solving approaches, WHO is able to process large quantities of information from various disciplines and to deliver solutions efficiently, to meet the expectations of our Member States.
To address the above challenge and to accelerate progress towards the Regional vision, For the Future, the Western Pacific Regional Office has launched the Strategic Knowledge Hub. The Hub hires early career professionals to produce recommendations for action using the hypothesis-driven approach.
The incumbent(s) will be physically based in the Western Pacific Regional Office in Manila to enable flexible and better coordination with Regional Office divisions. With the overall guidance of the Director, Programme Management, and day-to-day guidance/support by the advisory group in the Office, she/he will be responsible for:
- One or two ongoing projects (with clearly defined scope) at any given time
- Addressing any immediate needs required by the Regional Director and the senior management
- Contributing to the development of the SKH ‘function’.
The hosting divisions will provide additional guidance and technical support as needed.
- Planned timelines
Start date: 15 July 2023
End date: 14 June 2024
- Summary of Assigned Duties
In coordination with the SKH advisory group, the Country Support Unit and other technical teams, the consultant will perform the following
- Use the hypothesis-driven approach to deliver recommendations to assigned division and unit (including country offices), which will include:
- Reviewing available literature, information
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative research
- Drafting reports and/or presentations with appropriate data, analyses, interviews, either through field participation or collections and analysis of available data
- Support the capacity building on the new ways of working.
- Other tasks contributing to the development of Strategic Knowledge Hub functions and operations.
Submission of 11 monthly deliverables report and supporting materials related to each assigned project (e.g. concept note, presentations).
- Specific Requirements
A university degree and background in natural or social sciences with a demonstrated strong academic background.
A master’s level university degree or doctorate in a relevant field.
At least two years of experience working in public health and/or with qualitative or quantitative data analysis.
- Previous experience in management consulting
- Previous experience in coordinating with diverse teams (both national and international)
- Previous experience in managing research and quantitative and qualitative analysis
Skills / Technical skills and knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical, planning, and organizational skills
- Committed to delivering results
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work respectfully across diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work under pressure
Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential. French or Chinese are desirable
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Communication in a credible and effective way
- Place of Assignment
Western Pacific Regional Office – Manila, Philippines
- Medical Clearance
The selected Consultant will be expected to provide a medical certificate of fitness for work.
The consultant is expected to travel as-needed for projects, throughout the contract duration (from 15 July 2023 to 14 June 2024).
All travel arrangements will be made by WHO – WHO will not be responsible for tickets purchased by the Consultant without the express, prior authorization of WHO. While on mission under the terms of this consultancy, the Consultant will receive subsistence allowance.
Visa requirements: it is the consultant’s responsibility to fulfill visa requirements and ask for visa support letter(s) if needed.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between WHO and the Consultant.
- WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by WHO.
- The purpose of this vacancy is to develop a list of qualified candidates for inclusion in this advertised roster. All applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application (whether successful or unsuccessful) upon conclusion of the selection process. Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.