|Posting Title:||Environment Information Expert|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||22 November 2022 – 11 December 2022|
|Job Opening Number:||22-United Nations Environment Programme-195884-Consultant|
Result of Service
Development of scope and framework for establishing the environment data and information department.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office of UNEP delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise that UNEP West Asia Office is creating within the framework of the long-term strategic partnership and the Saudi Environment Sustainability Programme with the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture in Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Develop the scope and framework for establishing the environment data and information department in MEWA.
2. Provide technical inputs on the environmental performance results and national ranking and update of data and information.
3. Technical inputs in the establishment of data centres in other environment funds.
4. Technical advice on environment situation data at the international level including afforestation, pollution, desertification, meteorology etc.
5. Analyze and assess environment information systems under deputy ministry of environment.
6. Define a suitable set of environment information indicators, considering the results of the analysis of information systems previously conducted, and taking into account international best practices and SDG-related indicators.
7. Collect information on the environment management in KSA, which will serve as a test of the previously identified indicators, and as a baseline for indicator-based assessments and information platforms in the region.
8. Provide technical guidance to the target departments of MEWA, for strengthening data and information systems. As a result, it is expected to guide the creation or use of existing systems and new platforms to deliver data in a sustainable and internationally comparable way over time and reports on environment.
9. Conduct training and workshops on environmental data management, and associated indicator.
10. Develop a report on the status of environment management systems KSA, taking into account the indicators defined and the information collected, and in collaboration with other key partners.
Outputs / Work Assignments (Deliverables)::
1. Report outlining work methods of the data collection, processes, and the assessment of information systems and reporting in the target countries.
2. Document containing a list and description of the selected indicators, and the rationale for their suitability.
3. Report document with the necessary information, taking into account the methodology and format.
4. A document reflecting the technical assistance plan, including key departments to be engaged.
5. A document reflecting the training plan, stakeholders involved, description of the conducted workshop, including recommendations by participants.
Master’s degree computer science, data science, environmental science, natural sciences, or related fields is required. PHD is an asset
Minimum of 10 years of professional technical work experience in the field of environmental information systems is required.
Previous practical experience in similar tasks in environment information management is desirable.
Knowledge of environmental information systems in Saudi Arabia is an asset.
Experience working in West Asia is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken in both English and Arabic is required.
This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.