At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Southeast Asia Program is seeking paid research interns who are highly motivated, professional, and have a strong foundation in Southeast Asia studies, U.S.-Southeast Asia relations, and international relations/political economy. We operate a fast-paced, dynamic program, and require interns who are detail-oriented and can work independently and as part of a team. The internship will have a late May start date.
The research intern will be paid an hourly rate of $16.10–18.10, commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assisting with ad hoc and long-term research projects and organizing relevant information for the program’s various ongoing projects.
• Tracking current events related to Southeast Asia’s current political and economic landscape.
• Contributing to the program’s social media presence.
• Compiling the program’s internal and external newsletters.
• Providing support at meetings, workshops, panels, and other events.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must be at least a college junior in good standing or a recent graduate.
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
• Demonstrate strong writing and research skills, and attention to detail; editing experience preferred.
• Familiarity with social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) preferred.
• Written fluency in a Southeast Asian language a plus.
• Microsoft Office proficiency.
• Must be able to work in the United States.
• Have a positive attitude, outstanding communication/interpersonal skills, and ability to work with a team under tight deadlines.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, a cover letter, and a brief writing sample. Applications that do not include all the listed documents will not be considered.