Job #: req17325
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 6/3/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC has embarked on an ambitious strategy to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy aims at creating our own opportunities for private investments in riskier markets by proactively working in these countries to create, deepen, and expand the markets themselves. The Creating Markets strategy requires taking a systematic approach that draws on Country Strategies together with diagnostic tools, including Country Private Sector Diagnostics (CPSDs) and Sector Deep Dives. This strategy also calls for a closer WBG collaboration to identify and prioritize operations at the country and sector level based on the new WBG approach to Maximize Finance for Development by prioritizing Private Sector financing and solutions (the “Cascade”).
The Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) Group manages a large part of IFC’s overall business in terms of investment volume and capital at risk. MAS engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including heavy and light manufacturing, agribusiness, health, education, property, retail and tourism, and other areas, with investment, advisory services and Upstream activities delivered to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network
The MAS Global Manufacturing team is looking to recruit an Investment Analyst based in Washington, D.C., to support the team with sector work and new deals globally. MAS Global Manufacturing works across the Chemicals, Fertilizers, Steel, Cement, Glass, Automotive, Electronics, Textiles and other Light Manufacturing value chains.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Investment Analysts work closely with IFC’s Investment Officers, who are responsible for the origination, negotiation, structuring, and subsequent supervision of the Corporation’s investment projects.
The Investment Analyst assists Investment Officers in executing deals, sector knowledge management including portfolio analysis and data mining, developing sector strategies, and business development including sector mapping exercises and building pitchbooks.
Detailed Tasks include, among others:
Support of the Global Manufacturing Team
• Creation of Power Point presentations used for knowledge sharing and business development
• Portfolio and other data analysis to support knowledge management, product, and sector strategies
• Extract lessons from IFC’s earlier investments and other evaluative work to provide input to sector documents, guidance notes and to help in the structuring of transactions.
• Conduct market and industry research and analysis and assist with business development efforts and building sector strategies.
• Prepare internal and external materials related to engagements.
• Help disseminating knowledge and experience across the industry group to support adoption of new approaches and best practices.
• Organize formal and informal knowledge sessions, workshops and events.
Deal Execution and Investment Portfolio
• Create financial models, analyze and synthesize debt pricing benchmarks, perform DCF and equity trading comparable analysis to support informed decision making.
• Analyze historical and projected financial statements.
• Identify data collection needs to support the assessment of financial, operational, development impact and market information. Coordinate with clients as necessary to obtain needed information.
• Participate in investments negotiations.
• Support the resolution of issues with investments in portfolio companies as needed working with Sector Leads and Industry Specialists
• Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with specialization in finance, economics, or accounting.
• Up to 3 years of work experience in a financial institution or consulting firms with investment or corporate banking related experience.
• Ability to develop financial models from scratch, with projection assumptions (supported by IFC industry specialists), financial statement analysis, and/or equity valuation analysis. Ability to prepare investment analysis document with project/transaction description, market and industry analysis and investment return analysis.
• Basic understanding of key assessment aspects for investment transactions: technical, industrial, financial, environmental & social, and developmental.
• Master Excel and PowerPoint skills with strong data processing capacity. Able to distill and summarize large amounts of information from various sources to prepare business documents and presentations; able to utilize graphics and tables to effectively and creatively present data. Data analysis, statistics and presentation skills such as Tableau will be preferred.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; Ability to multi-task and deliver excellence under time pressure.
• Ability to effectively communications with different stakeholders or task owners. Ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
• Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills; additional languages are preferred.
• Interest in the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy, and values