The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The Programme Specialist will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, the general supervision of Head of Programme and under the direct supervision of the Agriculture Coordinator.
The Programme Specialist will guide and manage the planning, inception, and execution of resilience-building and development projects, focusing on project outcomes and impacts as defined by project results framework indicators.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Provide guidance in the preparation and/or assessment of new programmes and projects.
• Ensure a result-based approach to project implementation, including maintaining a focus on project results and impacts as defined by project results framework indicators.
• Lead, manage and supervise the project implementation activities in collaboration with sector teams and implementing partners through regular consultations.
• Oversee field operations through direct contact with implementing partners, review and consolidate partner and field monitoring reports, analyse monitoring data and report on progress to the Sector Coordinator.
• Regularly visit programme/project sites and monitor activities to: (i) ensure they are in line with the project work plan, timelines, and logical framework indicators: (ii) ensure that adequate technical services are available; (iii) identify and take corrective actions as needed, and (iv) inform project teams of immediate or predicted situations/issues that need resolution.
• Ensure the timely provision of project inputs (personnel, technical support services, subcontracts, training, equipment, and supplies) directly by the organization or, when appropriate, through contractors for timely project / programme implementation.
• Ensure the timely preparation and release of all required project/programme briefs and comprehensive reports for submission to donors and/or for corporate use.
• Facilitate and coordinate for the timely preparation of internal and external programme meetings with various stakeholders including donors and the government.
• Prepare analytical reports on project performance and share with sector coordinator and the other project task force.
• Lead the development of Concept notes and project proposals prepared by the sector to source for funding in line with Somalia context.
• Coordinate the preparation of needs assessments and briefs and ensure timely dissemination of information to the donor community, UN agencies and NGOs, in close consultation with the Programme Management Unit.
• Work closely with stakeholders i.e., government authorities on issues related to programme planning, implementation, and reporting.
• Monitor works of implementing partners while ensuring project activities are running in accordance with FAO’s Risk management Framework and ensure timely implementation and accomplishment of Agriculture sector project activities as per the agreed work plan.
• Review monitoring reports to assess interim impact and causes of potential bottlenecks in implementation and report major findings through structured briefs.
• Ensure and nurture good working relations and communication between the FAO Somalia and the other stakeholders to ensure maximum synergies to meet the greater objective of assisting the government and peoples of Somalia.
• Take the role of responsible officer for LoUs/LoAs with line ministries/partners.
• Represent the Organization at interagency meetings and other fora on matters related to FAO’s operational and programmatic approaches in Somalia.
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, International Relations, or a related field.
• Five years of relevant experience in project implementation and management or programme development.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English level C for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in program development, project planning, and forecasting.
• Work experience in project implementation and management, tracking, and monitoring.
• Work experience in capacity development.
• Extent and relevance of experience in partnership building and external relations.
• Familiarity with contractual issues, particularly as applied to publicly funded entities.